SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB/WTT Sterling SUB Ray4

BodBod Frets: 1312
edited December 2022 in Basses £
Hi,

Having lusted after a MM Stingray for a loooong time, and realising that I'll never be able to afford the real thing (or even the Sterling Ray34 really) I'm on the hunt for a SUB4.

I have a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz bass in natural and a Vintage Advance AV3 semi, also in natural, available for trade/part-ex.

Would also welcome comments on the sub series vs the more expensive Sterling version.

Ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    I attempted to answer the SUB versus Sterling-by-Musicman question in your other thread. 

If you lust after a US-made Stingray Bass, none of EBMM's more affordable versions is going to satisfy. 

IMO, the build quality of the lowest price range EBMM basses is the equal of your Squier VM … and vice versa. Why expend funds changing instruments when you could invest your budget into modifying your existing Squier?

If, for example, your Squier VM Jazz Bass has Duncan Designed JB-101 pickups, keep them but upgrade the controls. 

This could be something as simple as a push-pull pot to allow series/parallel interconnection of the two pickups. At the other extreme is something complex such as the John East J-Retro 01.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BodBod Frets: 1312
    Thanks for the replies - most informative and really appreciated.  I'm not really hung up on getting something like a US Stingray really, I just like the feel of the neck and the VM Jazz doesn't really work for me in that regard.  I think I'll keep my eye out for a cheap used one and see how it goes, at least that way I won't lose much cash if it doesn't work out.