Sterling brand

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1312
So, off the back of my wanted thread in the Bass classifieds, I've done some more research and it looks like I'm throughly confused about the whole SUB versus non-SUB shenanigans. 

Looking online at prices of current models, there seems to be three tiers - the budget SUB RAY4 series at around £389 to £469, the Classic RAY24 at about £649 and the Stingray 4 series at around £1.2k.

Also, there appears to be US-made versions of the SUB basses available at some point?  I have to say they've done a cracking job of making the range incredibly confusing.  I know i'd prbably be better off asking over at Basschat, but this is home... ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited December 2022
    The original EBMM S.U.B. guitars and basses were American-made economy versions of the regular models. Corners were cut on materials (poplar bodies) and finishing (textured paint). 

Next came the Crafted In Indonesia SUB range - equivalent quality to Squier Standard and Vintage Modified series. Originally, these retailed for around £225. No-brainer bargain with potential for modification. 

The next series was the Sterling-by-Musicman RAY basses and Axis guitars. These originally retailed for between £500 and £800. Nice but never quite as nice as the US-made stuff. HINT: Upgrading with American pickups helps. AX40, playable but uninspiring. AX40D, DiMarzio-tastic. 

More recently, the SUB headstock decal has been changed to Sterling. Most of the features are the same as before. Maybe, not the bargain that it once was?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom