Poopot's Cover Challenge #21 - H - Voting

What's Hot
It's time to vote on the letter H

you can hear all the tracks in the playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/poopots-cover-challenge-h

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

There is a bonus 5 points for covering the specified track which was Heartbreaker by Mariah Carey

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Friday 30th December 2022

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. In the event of a tie for first place then all those tied will choose a song.

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 5 points : @AlbertC : Great sound. Clear polished production. Good dynamics.
    3 points : High & Dry : @thecolourbox : Great vocals and instrumentation.
    1 point : @CMW335 : Great vocals and good sparse instrumentation.
    It's not a competition.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I'm going for

5 - @AlbertC - just a total pro job in every respect to my ears
    3 - @2003amxl - lovely playing
    1 - @thecolourbox "How" - really captured something with that performance/ recording

Honourable mention to @IMC1980 for an incredible vocal
  • Nice surprise to get some points on the board early in a very strong and varied field. I'll definitely be doing my proper listen through the next couple of days to give my points out.

Forgive me as I've forgotten, been a while since I entered. Is it in the original thread where we discuss our methods and approaches so as not to distract from votes?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Great selection of entries this time

5 pts - @thecolourbox - High & Dry
    3 pts - @IMC1980 ;
    1pt - @AlbertC ;
  • Here are my thoughts on each :)

• House of rising sun. Wow that was huge wasn't it! Strangely reminded me of u2's Love is Blindness
    • Have Love Will Travel - Flying Pie. Loved the guitar work. Always enjoy a bit of mc5 (think it was them?)
    • Halleluljah - CMW335. I know I'm on this one, but you know my thoughts on it and your wife's lovely singing, was a pleasure to be involved.
    • Heartbreaker - Horse. I thought you'd succesfully merged Newman, Cash and Cohen all in one at first. Blimey, emotional. Nice build then fall at the end
    • Heroes- fnpt. I nearly did this one, glad I didn't as yours is lovely. Really got the vibe pefect.
    • How Soon is Now - fnpt/mrkb. That Guitar sound, phwoar. 
    • Heartbreaker - Stratman. Absolutely nuts. Felt strangely dirty enjoying the first bit until Led Zep came in and smashed them out the room.
    • Hello Ian - Bezzer. Almost shat myself a bit at that intro - in a good way. Was that from Halloween or Omen or something? Nicely done. 
    • Hello - Flying Pie. I now belong to the Blank Generation :) Nice mashup(s)
    • Heartbreaker - 2003amxl. Groovy, filthy groove playing going on there. Then enjoyed it going apeshit for the second half.
    • Hit it and Quit it - idiotwind. Nice sounds in there, felt quite uncomfortable in my seat listening to it on earphones though! Nice
    • Haitian Divorce - Albertc. Very tasty playing and polished rounded production, smooth!
    • Heartbreak Hotel - Haanero. If Kurt did Elvis?Love the guitar and bass interaction.
    • Hard to Handle - Mrkb. Those guitar tonesssss. Nice rhythm groove as well.
    • Heartbreakers - mrkb. Tones again! Very mysterious sounding on this one at times. 

My points go to....
    5 points - Hello Ian - @Bezzer.
    3 points - Heroes - @fnpt
    1 point - How Soon is Now - @fnpt & @mrkb

Though excellent work and variety all round, thanks fellas
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Here are my thoughts on each :)
    • Heartbreak Hotel - Haanero. If Kurt did Elvis?Love the guitar and bass interaction.
    Yes indeed. When I realised how dark and depressing the lyrics were it made me imagine a Cobain cover, so I borrowed heavily from Polly.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6828
    Some great tracks and interesting interpretations with a wide range of styles. 

My favourites-
    5 points - Heroes - @fnpt 
    3 points - Hallelujah - Mrs @CMW335 ; and @thecolourbox ;
    1 Point - 
    Have Love Will Travel - @flying_pie 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Very, very difficult to choose. Great versions by everyone, some top level playing and singing, some very creative versions. I'm going by the ones I've particularly enjoyed listening to:

5 points: How @thecolourbox ;
    3 points: High and Dry @thecolourbox ;
    1 point: House of the Rising Sun @IMC1980 ;
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    This is certainly one of the highest number of entries we have had for the cover challenges! Loads of good stuff in here and several people submitting multiple entries. My votes go to:

5 points - @flying_pie - Hello - Your mashups always entertain, but this one is my favourite so far, you crammed in tonnes of Green Day and the transitions were ace!
    3 points - @fnpt - Heroes, I love this song and you did it justice, would have liked the high vocals at the end, but it didn't take away from a very nice rendition.
    1 point - @thecolourbox - High & Dry - This one was very close to being my second place, but Heroes just edged it. Great vocals on this, particularly the chorus. 

Well done everyone and I hope we maintain this level of participation! 
  • 5 pts @horse ;
    3pts @AlbertC ;
    1pt @stratman

Hats off to horse for tackling the cover and doing all that with what's originally a 2 chord song.

AlbertC went with Steely Dan, didn't expect to see that and it sounded great.

Stratman in there with a playful mashup/medley. 
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    5 points @flying_pie (for Hello) - I liked the way you shook up the original
    3 points @IMC1980 - too long but epic sound and powerful vocals
    1 point @thecolourbox (for High & Dry) - rather muddy mix but good vocals
  • 5 points @horse ; for not only polishing a turd but also dusting it in glitter
    3 points @AlbertC - cracking production
    1 point @Bezzer for John Carpenter the industrial metal version. I'd happily listen to that outside of Oct 31st
  • Thanks for the votes, it's been a pleasant surprise. I'm very happy to receive constructive feedback on what I could improve on, I don't record very often so regular practice is out of the question unfortunately so I have to rely on the comments of others.

Some notes on my two as I wasn't sure if it should be here or in the other thread. 

High and Dry. I listened hard to some karaoke versions of the track and put together the drum loop on Native Instruments Drum Lab, bass I added the "walk on the wild side" treatment (think it was the Native bass guitar plugin. Acoustic guitars recorded twice - initially the second take was meant to replace the first but they sounded adequate together so I left them both. Electric guitar is my Squier Mustang via a Mesa model on Helix Native, added octavia for the solo bit. Both acoustic guitar and voice recorded using my cheap Marantz condenser mic straight into the interface, then bits of panning and reverb added, and eq. CLA Mixdown plug in on the mixer output. 

How. The lyrics mean a lot to me, I have depression and the words describe quite simply my feelings through life. Was recorded again with the cheap Marantz condenser but this time both voice and guitar at the same time, a couple of false starts but then essentially one take. Raum reverb added, and as i was going for a kind of demo vibe in the style of Beatles Anthology (hence my guitar part nods towards "You never give me your money") I added a bit of a warped vinyl record simulator to add some wobble like some of the Beatles recordings have. The only other notable thing I did on this one, was I made myself cry before performing it - my "go to" method for making myself cry on demand is to read the story of Walnut the Whippet's last walk on the beach so I did that a few times and watched the video, et voila, blubbering like an idiot. I think you can hear the wobbles and sniffles a bit in the vocal which I'm happy with I think.

Both songs recorded in my spare room, sat at my work desk, not very hifi but it does the job.
  • 5 pts - @2003amxl  ;
    3 pts - @fnpt  ;
    1 pt - @mrkb ; (Hard to Handle)
  • Voting closes tonight at 11.30pm
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Sorry I've been so absent of late! Thought I'd better try and vote at least so it was a bit of a whistle stop listen and just picking what immediately stood out to me. So

5 pts - @thecolourbox for High and Dry
    3 pts - @flying_pie for Hello
    1 pt - @IMC1980 ;

Loads of good stuff, really great to see so many entries, long may that continue. Hopefully I can be more involved next time.

(Oh and thank you for the votes for mine, honestly expected nowt for a Hallowe'en song at Christmas!)
  • Voting closed