Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I just saw the news. Such a footballing icon, although before my time so I've never really appreciated him that much personally. 

This is a better link as it has a proper write up:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pele-ap-brazil-santos-sao-paulo-b2253163.html

Pele was actually a nick name, his actual name was Edson Arantes do Nascimento!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Very sad but not unexpected considering his recent health problems.

RIP Legend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Played down his illness so as not to detract from the World Cup I’m sure . Sums the guy up 

RIP the King 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Another proper gent. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • One of the greatest footballers, no question. 3 world cups will most likely never happen again. RIP
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3014
    The greatest of all time for me and respected by everyone in the game for not only being a great footballer but a true gentleman as well.

Not unexpected of course, but sad nevertheless. Another sporting hero gone. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    What a player and what a gentleman. RIP
    Call me Dave.
  • Vai com Deus!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sad news. Absolute legend.. RIP Pele
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    an often over used word,  but most certainly not in this case.  

Legend.   
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11313
    The greatest as far as I am concerned, those hazy pictures from Mexico in 1970 will be with me forever.

I'll be on YouTube later to watch a genius at work. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    RIP Pele. So sad to hear this...

:/
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    Lived for football & the love of football, not for what it could do for him. 
    RIP 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1955
    I've always loved my football but in bits over this. He played the game and he played it fair. Ultimate professional. Loved him for coining the phrase "The beautiful game" and the way he played it then it was. Modern football needs to remember Edson Erantes do Nascimento

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2976
    That dummy against Uruguay. If he had scored I think we would remember it as the greatest goal of them all, but he didn't. And I love it more for that. He didn't need to score to be the greatest.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • There's a fairly recent documentary on Netflix that has a good collection of footage.  It looked like 1958 to 1962 he was so far ahead of everyone else it was like he was playing a different game. After that they just stuck 3 guys on him and kicked him until he stayed down.
  • A little before my time but his name was a byword for footballing genius. I read his autobiography a few years ago and he had a ceaseless fascination for the game. 
    RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14302
    edited December 2022 tFB Trader
    Kind of your youth leaving you today - I was 10 during the 1970 WC and can recall parts of it - To be fair I've probably seen and remembered more via a shed loads of video clips - Yet I've always held something magical about the 1970 Brazilian WC side - There has been many great players in the game, but because of my age I always remember him as 'my greatest' - A sad day for Brazil, his friends and family and a sad day for football and sport - I was at the Leeds/Man City match last night and we had a minutes silence for George Cohen - I expect all matches will have a minutes silence this weekend - RIP Great man - You'll never be forgotten and you've left me and the football world with many great memories

As @blobb mentioned above, the great moment that wasn't a goal was sublime and the miss from the 1/2 way line earlier in the tournament (think v the Czech's)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    For someone who kicked a ball around for a living…..he was the best & lit up my Childhood…RIP
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11313
    Why on earth the Beeb didn't cancel tonight's Mrs Brown's Boys and show a tribute to Pele instead (they must have one in their library) is unbelievable. The greatest footballer ever or the least funny comedy ever - could you get two more diametrically opposed strands of entertainmewnt?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom