Post-gig blues.

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1324
I played a great gig on Saturday.  Was largely run-of-the-mill, but good fun with plenty of people up and dancing, and I felt that I played pretty well too.

I love it, but I'm back down to earth with a bump at work and desperately resisting the urge to GAS...

Ugh...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Yeah, I've had that. Over the last month we've been on tour, then it was a week in the studio, then gigs thurs/fri/sat.

Luckily I've got 15 songs to record guitar and backing vocals to over the next few weeks so I've got plenty to distract me from the real, tedious world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I get it after almost every single gig we do. It's a real problem. I'm prone to sadness and depression anyway, but after a gig everything just seems spikier and more in my face. The banality of life really hits home.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7860
    Drew_fx said:
    I get it after almost every single gig we do. It's a real problem. I'm prone to sadness and depression anyway, but after a gig everything just seems spikier and more in my face. The banality of life really hits home.
    the banality's there to make the gig more fun ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    :)
  • Hate to seem glib or unsympathetic (which I am not, having been there), but banality is all in the mind. If you take things for granted - it all seems very banal, sure. WTF if Scotand goes independentor your gf keeps banging on about shopping.

Actually pretty much every breath you take is a miracle.  That heart stops for a few seconds and you are on your way out: a few minutes later and there's no coming back. Personally, I'm grateful every time I get to eat egg and chips, every time the train isn't late, when the sun comes out, and when there's curry for dinner, my car works properly, and there's wind and rain - if you get my drift.

if you are in a place you don't like, change something, or just be here now and see how deep it all goes. Sounds simple, and it is, but sometimes it isn't, which is part of the charm, and the challenge.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • its like a drug, you need another hit,  as soon as ive done a gig im looking forward to the next. Im in a small time pub covers band, a weekend hobbyist really,. I can only dream about how amazing it would be to be a pro. but im under no illusions, I enjoy it as my hobby and feel honoured that I can get paid for it too ( although below minimum wage mostly) but it justifies to my mrs , hey I spent that £50 I earnt buying this £1000 guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10753
    ^ we need a lolwis button for that
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Personally I'm glad I don't have to do it for a living.  Unless you are minting, it can easily become a treadmill. I use the crowd as a whetstone to give me an edge, but ultimately I know whether I played well or badly, band gelled or not, if the vibe was right. The nights it ain't are hard work - even a bit embarrassing.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Hate to seem glib or unsympathetic (which I am not, having been there), but banality is all in the mind. If you take things for granted - it all seems very banal, sure. WTF if Scotand goes independentor your gf keeps banging on about shopping.

Actually pretty much every breath you take is a miracle.  That heart stops for a few seconds and you are on your way out: a few minutes later and there's no coming back. Personally, I'm grateful every time I get to eat egg and chips, every time the train isn't late, when the sun comes out, and when there's curry for dinner, my car works properly, and there's wind and rain - if you get my drift.

if you are in a place you don't like, change something, or just be here now and see how deep it all goes. Sounds simple, and it is, but sometimes it isn't, which is part of the charm, and the challenge.
    Wisdom.
    I don't think i have ever heard the meaning of happiness put better than that.
  • Hate to seem glib or unsympathetic (which I am not, having been there), but banality is all in the mind. If you take things for granted - it all seems very banal, sure. WTF if Scotand goes independentor your gf keeps banging on about shopping.

i love this human!

Personally i get pre gig blues. the whole gigging thing has completely lost its shine for me for one reason or another. i have to do it to keep a little bit of extra cash coming in but i can honestly say i don't enjoy it and haven't enjoyed it for years. Tonight we are playing a gig where you don't start the first set till 12ish and won't be in till about 5. tbh its a great gig and it'll be rammed. most bands would kill to play it but for now I'm sat here trying to stay awake! 

anyways to all those out gigging tonight have a great one 
    How very rock and roll
  • BodBod Frets: 1324
    I know what you mean Ben, I hated gigging when I was playing original stuff for this very reason - so much hanging around!  Since I've been in a gigging covers band though, we don't have support bands and play from 9 til 12 generally, so we can get away with turning up about 7.30 and get everything ready.  I'm loving it now.
  • Y'know what? I don't get this at all. I don't get the post-gig blues - more of a high that gradually fades over a couple of days, especially if it's a belter. I actually enjoy the hanging around, too. I don't really go out very often (usually too busy), so arriving at 6pm to play at 10pm and get home at 1am is really just a night out with my best mates.

It's odd, really, because I'm a miserable bastard at the best of times :D
    <space for hire>