Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Rosewood Tele - thoughts?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    This thread got me wondering what actually happened to Harrison's original. I knew he'd given it to Delaney Bramlett - and I had a vague recollection he'd auctioned it.

What I didn't know is that Olivia Harrison bought it back after George died. What a touching story:

http://www.fenderrocks.com/historic-fenders-george-harrisons-rosewood-telecaster/
    A touching story regarding Olivia but it it didn't leave me with a lot of positive thoughts about Delaney Bramlett.  A pal gives him a guitar as a present and he sells it back to his widow for $470,000?  What a grasping dick.
    To be fair to Bramlett, we don't - correction, I don't - know what his financial situation may have been, or what he actually did with the money.
    Not convinced it makes any difference.  Presumably the guitar would have come down to Olivia anyway if her husband hadn't so generously gifted it to Bramlett, who he presumably considered a friend.  To fleece her for $470K to get it back isn't defensible  even if Bramlett was skint and/or donated the proceeds to charity. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

"Fender Rosewood Tele - thoughts?"

they burn a little differently to maple Tele's

play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder how many people who've been gifted a celebrity guitar have gifted it back again or given the proceeds to charity? Not many I would guess...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder how many people who've been gifted a celebrity guitar have gifted it back again or given the proceeds to charity? Not many I would guess...
    It's not the not giving it back that's offensive, it's the greedy profiteering from it, especially at the expense of the guy who gave it to him's widow.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited September 2014
    Maybe he thought an auction was the only way of accurately establishing what a fair price would be for the guitar, so that Olivia Harrison could buy it back at the right price. I could even imagine that she might have recommended this. I doubt half a million would make much impact on the value of the Harrison estate.

Edit: ok, scrub that. I've now read the link above. Maybe he was just short of cash! :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    edited September 2014

I don't really want to keep going on about this, but did Delaney Bramlett actually sell it back to Olivia Harrison - knowing it was her - or did her representative (Ed Begley Jr. of St Elsewhere fame....) just buy it in an open auction?

If it was the former, that would be wrong. And a remarkable piece of bare-faced cheek. 

If it was the latter, he was entitled to do whatever he wanted with it.  The fact it was a gift from a friend was neither here nor there.  If you give someone a gift you don't retain some kind of moral right to get it back if they decide they don't want it any more.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    ICBM;360295" said:
    They look great - or at least the proper ones do, I don't think a veneered body with painted sides and a painted neck would - but I've never played one that sounded any good. It's not the weight, I just don't think rosewood is a very resonant body wood. I would second the comment about skinny necks and excessive gloss lacquer too. I've only played one original and that also had an overly glossy, narrow neck - though deeper, if I remember rightly - and weighed as much as a small star.

I suppose the advantage of a veneered basswood one is that it might sound better, but it's still just wrong and misses the point.

Unfortunately you can't base the decision on the tone George got out of his one, since he was going through a ton of great equipment, at Abbey Road, and he was George.
    Interesting, as a cap on a mahogany body it seems very resonant, and that with a rosewood neck. How much lacquer is on them? Rosewood is used a lot in accoustics.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    That is all true for maple as well, but solid maple bodied guitars generally don't sound that good either. Rickenbacker 600-series might be the exception, but I'm not sure how much the body wood contributes to the tone on those.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein