Comments

• I think it looks like a nice bass, but I could never own one I think. The Paul McCartney association is a bit too much for me - I like the Beatles but playing such an obviously unique/unusual instrument so famously associated with one person is too much for me. 

It is beautiful though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I think it looks like a nice bass, but I could never own one I think. The Paul McCartney association is a bit too much for me - I like the Beatles but playing such an obviously unique/unusual instrument so famously associated with one person is too much for me. 

It is beautiful though. 
    Indeed. Fortunately I also like Tame Impala.  =)
    Would only be used for recording anyway. Scratch an itch and all that.

Done some research and looks kosher enough. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    If the pickups haven't been rewound a. it will be a miracle and b. whoever buys it will have that bill to look forward to ... unless they just stick it in a glass case and don't even breathe on it. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6068
    Once in a blue moon you come across one of these basses that hasn't and doesn't need a neck reset.

I would query the no neck reset, looks as if it might have had one judging by the lacquer touchup(?) around the neck join. I don't think I've ever seen one in that good condition, the lacquer usually has cracks so it must have been stored very carefully if it's all genuine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2023
    If the pickups haven't been rewound a. it will be a miracle and b. whoever buys it will have that bill to look forward to ... unless they just stick it in a glass case and don't even breathe on it. 
    Give me a reason to dust off the cnc winder I bought and barely used.  s

The neck joint wear is hard to make out. I might ask him about it. Really on the fence.
  • I don’t know much about those, I’m more of a vintage fender fan, these all original basses are becoming very collectible and imo a nice thing to own and play, if it’s what you’re looking for and you don’t mind spending the money I think it’s worth a cheeky offer 
    Riddim up
    Passed on it in the end. 
    Seller is willing to knock a few hundred off though, if anybody else is interested. Looks a pretty good deal if you're close enough to go and view it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    OilCityPickups said:

Strangely, I know just the man to rewind them...

;)

Even if you do stick it in a glass case, they'll still die. A friend has an 'heirloom' Senator guitar, which hasn't been played for about fifty years... I tested it for her and sure enough the pickup is dead :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    I was once handed an ancient Höfner 'cello bodied guitar to resuscitate. The laminate behind the control plate was beginning to crumble away to nothing. All I could do was apply electrolube to the controls, screw it back together and fit new strings.

Luckily for me, the guitar was just a sentimental heirloom from a recently deceased relative of the new owner. It was more important that it should look right on display than actually function as a musical instrument.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27034
    I've never played one of these but I'd love to have one. I feel like if I wanted a hollow body bass for gigging I'd go for a Club or some sort of Guild to steer around the McCartney thing, but I love the sound of these sorts of instruments. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    I've never played one of these but I'd love to have one. I feel like if I wanted a hollow body bass for gigging I'd go for a Club or some sort of Guild to steer around the McCartney thing, but I love the sound of these sorts of instruments. 
    The Violin Bass is a really remarkable-sounding thing - for such a tiny short-scale bass it has an absolutely HUGE depth and bottom end... although only the originals and proper high-end reissues really, the cheap far-east ones don’t. If you want the McCartney or Robbie Shakespeare tone you need a real one. I was lucky enough to be lent a ‘65 original for a while after I’d had one of its pickups rewound by @OilCityPickups, and at least I know know that they’re not for me! It sounded fantastic but the feel is so different from any other bass - even the bigger Höfners - that I just couldn’t get used to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Nice, but completely out of my price range and I'd never play it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6068
    The solid body Hofner basses are a joy to play (my 185 has been played daily since I got it three years ago) but the quality is not great with the exception of the necks which I’ve found to be of a uniformly high quality. I sometimes think I’d like to commission a set neck luthier build of an exact copy of my 185 but featuring a better bridge, tuners and earthing. But then it might not have the magic of the real deal so I’ve never taken the leap.