Fender Gold Foil Jazz - looks interesting

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
Love the aesthetics of this but not sure I'd want a GF in a bass.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mh_gold_foil_jazz_bass_eb_snb.htm

£1200 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    Looks suspiciously like a Rick pickup casing... and the low E string doesn't pass over the pole area.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Just another bandwagon. 

IMO, the important aspect of any "gold foil" pickup is the design eccentricity of its innards. Their appearance is secondary.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27034
    Seems like these pickups aren't really golf foils underneath, but generic minimums. Who'd have guessed that Fender would put a fancy cover on a generic pickup...?! [gets flashbacks to 20 years of MIJ Jazzmaster pickups and Mexican WRHBs]

But generally I just don't get the obsession with gold foils lately. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1678
    Given it's traditionally a 2 pickup instrument, not sure why they don't shove a conventional p/u in there too for versatility.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Bizarre concept. Why not use two 'gold foils'? Sounds like a generic but weak P bass in that video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    And £1200 for a Mexican Fender?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    CE1 said:
    And £1200 for a Mexican Fender?
    Some Mexican models hit £1200 and more ages ago. Sadly it's where we're at.

(e.g. list price on the Jason Isbell signature Tele is over £1400 now)

Anyway, back to the bass... I wish they did a short scale of some description with this pickup. A Mustang bass perhaps... I think that would fit the vibe a little better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender changes cosmetics, reduces versatility and charges a huge premium. Who'd have thought it? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24293
    Mex Fenders are now at very silly prices.

I'd rather have a Sandberg. Actually I'd pick a Sandberg over a US Fender as well. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27034

I'd rather have a Sandberg. Actually I'd pick a Sandberg over a US Fender as well. 
    I don't think I've ever seen their guitars in person but the basses look spectacular. I want this please!

https://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/?code=CANT4-TM:D-N-4S-34-SA-VW-ALD-NOT-RWF-F-DTA-NOM-ANIH-CLT-2EQ+SSW-TP-X-RH
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • £1200 is insane.

When I started playing a US Fender was £600. :-(

I don't think I've ever seen their guitars in person but the basses look spectacular. I want this please!

https://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/?code=CANT4-TM:D-N-4S-34-SA-VW-ALD-NOT-RWF-F-DTA-NOM-ANIH-CLT-2EQ+SSW-TP-X-RH

Very nice - apart from the tort, obviously!

I've got 2 Sandbergs with another on the way in about April.

I've had 2 others in the past that I moved on as they were too heavy. They were the original California series. The 2 I have are California II series and are a big improvement.

They are just fantastic. 

Their take on the Telecaster looks really nice. I've not seen one in person but I'd love to give it a try. They'll make it with the Superlight wood options too.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I kinda like this. I don’t think it’s worth that much and I’m not a fan of sticking any old pickup under a foil cover to jump on a bandwagon but it definitely has appeal. 

I suspect under the fancy frock there, it has a lot in common with the Squier 50s P bass. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    dazzajl said:

I suspect under the fancy frock there, it has a lot in common with the Squier 50s P bass. 
    Pretty much this.

Like:
    P pickup position and controls
    Matching headstock

Don't like:
    Single coil pickup (likely to hum)
    Bound neck (personal taste)
    Those knobs

I can't see Jazz Bass aficionados wanting one of these because they can't do that pickup-balance-jiggling malarkey.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    On the bright side, it looks like you could put a Rickenbacker bass neck pickup in there and have it sound good... or a HB1 humbucker and have it both sound good and not hum :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited January 2023
    Or a bass Filter'Tron or a Bartolini RIC replacement pickup or a Seymour Duncan Lemmy Kilminster signature pickup.

Keefy said:
    I can't see Jazz Bass aficionados wanting one of these because they can't do that pickup-balance-jiggling malarkey.
    Depends how one regards the Jazz Bass.

Is it a body outline?
    Is it a narrow neck?
    Is it about having two pickups?
    Is it a specific sound palette?

Several Fender signature Jazz Bass models have featured non-JB electronics in the familiar chassis. Is the Mark Hoppus model a misshapen P Bass? Is the Active Flea model a misshapen Stingray/Modulus?

What would a Jazz Bass with two Oil City Overkill pickups sound like? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6068
    ICBM said:
    Looks suspiciously like a Rick pickup casing... and the low E string doesn't pass over the pole area.
    The recent Supro range of gold foil basses suffered from the exact same flaw - output from E string was damped by the pickup being to narrow for the string spacing.Cosmetics over functionality.
    https://youtu.be/SE9FZ2nhFYo

Not a good review!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really hate it when YouTubers give everything glowing reviews  :-D

Such a shame. I think it looks awesome and I like the tones (e string aside, obviously). Not quite sure how Fender have managed to let this out the building. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Oh dear!