Can anybody identify the origin of this guitar?

What's Hot
m_cm_c Frets: 1243
This came up on the JustinGuitar forum, and belonged to the current owners grandad.
Estimated vintage is 70/80s.

There's a couple interesting features on it.
My impression is it's either homemade, or a partscaster.

It is a toggle switch on the pickguard inline with the neck pickup, and the jack was in the missing section.

So can anybody shed some light on what the source is likely to have been?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14448
    It originated from trees.

The truss rod cover suggests a Japanese factory in the Sixties or Seventies. (Kay, Satellite et cetera.)

I haven't seen that sort of vibrato tailpiece for decades. The obvious Fretboarder to consult is @HarrySeven ;
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 384
    Framus guitars had this type of 'laminated' necks back in the 70s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1585
    That looks very similar to something I was given once that originally came out of a Kays catalogue - with a brandname that I cant remember unfortunately. What was distinctive about it was the neck and headstock made of some kind of laminated ply sections - dozens of them. 

I'd say if you could see the back of the neck on that one, it'll be the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18817
    edited January 2023

The truss rod cover suggests a Japanese factory in the Sixties or Seventies. (Kay, Satellite et cetera.)

I haven't seen that sort of vibrato tailpiece for decades. The obvious Fretboarder to consult is @HarrySeven ;;
    Agree about the country & time of origin. I have a guitar with exactly the same construction detail ( but I can't be arsed to dig it out & take photo's at the moment).
    In fact, the neck might not actually be wood, but laminated bamboo, so technically a grass 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Not homemade or a partscaster - it's a Zenta, made in Japan by Tiesco, late 60s or very early 70s.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/64163755-zenta-stratocaster-1970-s-sunburst

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    ICBM said:
    Not homemade or a partscaster - it's a Zenta, made in Japan by Tiesco, late 60s or very early 70s.

Thanks for that.
    I knew somebody on here would know.
    edited January 2023
    ICBM said:

'Kinell..that's exactly the same model and 'burst as the one I had. Pulled it apart for some reason or other a couple of years ago, got fed up with it and dumped all the bits barring the 'semi-loaded pick guard' which I still have kicking around (don't ask me why, I have no idea):

If I'd known it was such a rare Japanese instrument..I'd have..probably still dumped the POS anyway

Mine was the full ply 'maple effect' fingerboard btw, Aesthetically about as bad as it could get :)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031

I haven't seen that sort of vibrato tailpiece for decades. The obvious Fretboarder to consult is @HarrySeven ;
    Seems I’m late to the party, but yup, as @ICBM says, it’s a Zenta. 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nasty..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Another vote for Zenta. A friend from a very early band had a vaguely T shaped Zenta. He replaced the body with on made from 2 school desk lids. It looked very cool with decades of graffiti!
    edited January 2023
    ICBM said:

A propos very little..

Came across this in the shed yesterday:

All I need is a new neck and some tuners now, and I could  have a proper Zenta Partscaster
  • Pete.R said:
    Framus guitars had this type of 'laminated' necks back in the 70s
    They also had switches like that.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    AK99 said:
    ICBM said:

'Kinell..that's exactly the same model and 'burst as the one I had. Pulled it apart for some reason or other a couple of years ago, got fed up with it and dumped all the bits barring the 'semi-loaded pick guard' which I still have kicking around (don't ask me why, I have no idea):

If I'd known it was such a rare Japanese instrument..I'd have..probably still dumped the POS anyway

Mine was the full ply 'maple effect' fingerboard btw, Aesthetically about as bad as it could get :)
    Those pickups look somehow like repurposed hearing aids.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11793
    AK99 said:
    ICBM said:

A propos very little..

Came across this in the shed yesterday:

All I need is a new neck and some tuners now, and I could  have a proper Zenta Partscaster
    I must admit I'd put it back where I found it if I were you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2023
    Tough crowd in this afternoon
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    One of you needs to sell their bit to the other one! Then all you need is a neck… and a few other smaller parts.

It’s well worth saving - they’re certainly not a high quality guitar, but with a bit of care it should be like any other Tiesco, capable of being made playable, quite good-sounding and a little more interesting than the average generic modern plank.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom