New scale day !

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

I've been using D Phrygian Dominant for noodling and making albums for a few years now, and I feel like doing something else for a change :)

Rather than work through hundreds of scale patterns I'm going to start by picking a few notes and expanding until I have something I like the sound of - it will be an existing scale of course, but I'll look to see what it is once I'm done ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    Try 4th mode of the Persian Scale!

1 b2 b3 #4 5 b6 #7 8. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 775
    I like to play scales and modes chromatically until I find one my ear likes and go from there. Good luck 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

Favourite so far is A / C / D# / E / G / G# with the option of adding B.

so that's R - (2) - b3 - 4 - #4/b5 - 5 - #6/b7 - 7 - octave
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    viz said:

1 b2 b3 #4 5 b6 #7 8. 

It's making my head spin a bit working it out on the fly, but I like it enough that I'll write it out as a fretboard diagram - once I've got that I can usually sit and look at the patterns while noodling to get the hang of it.
    Paul_C said:
    viz said:

1 b2 b3 #4 5 b6 #7 8. 

It's making my head spin a bit working it out on the fly, but I like it enough that I'll write it out as a fretboard diagram - once I've got that I can usually sit and look at the patterns while noodling to get the hang of it.
    There’s an easy way of playing it, for example, in E it would be:

A string: 7 8 10
    D string: 8 9 10
    G string: 8 9 10
    B string: 8 11 12
    top E:     8 11 12

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I do it at the end of this clip, in A:

https://youtu.be/vMsKTjNy9h0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    viz said:
    Paul_C said:
    viz said:

1 b2 b3 #4 5 b6 #7 8. 

There’s an easy way of playing it, for example, in E it would be:

A string: 7 8 10
    D string: 8 9 10
    G string: 8 9 10
    B string: 8 11 12
    top E:     8 11 12

Sorry, did you mean the Todi That scale? Number 2507? https://ianring.com/musictheory/scales/2507

I also like the very similar one with a b7 instead of a 7 (your #7 notation killed me btw) - https://ianring.com/musictheory/scales/1483
    edited January 2023
    Yep, the Todi Thaat is the Indian name for it. In Iran it’s the 4th mode of the Persian major. 

I think it’s really good as a root scale, because it has a perfect 5th in it, so it has a dominant chord - in fact its dominant scale is obviously the Persian scale itself.

Whereas the Persian scale doesn’t have a dominant, it has a b5. Although it does sound very lovely, it’s more limited in its harmonic use. 

Edit - and sorry, yep it’s not a sharp 7 in traditional notation, I was notating it as though it were in G minor for some reason. Forgive me
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    viz said:
    Edit - and sorry, yep it’s not a sharp 7 in traditional notation, I was notating it as though it were in G minor for some reason. Forgive me
    You're forgiven.

And the one I posted also has a P5, which I agree is essential for a root scale.