Tom Quayle demonstrating his legato technique

What's Hot
The amazing Tom Quayle demonstrating and explaining his incredible Legato technique.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A lot of legato sounds like it's floating over the beat. But his rhythmic precision is amazing.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Enjoyable video. Thanks for sharing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    A lot of legato sounds like it's floating over the beat. But his rhythmic precision is amazing.

He has worked on that......a LOT, right down to 64th notes. It's insane that precision really.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7779
    Cheers for sharing, genuinely interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 293
    Really helpful. Thanks for sharing.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    A lot of legato sounds like it's floating over the beat. But his rhythmic precision is amazing.

Yes, Tom Quayle's precision timing with Legato is unbelievable, personally, apart from timing, the other problem I have with my Legato is the higher volume of the picked note compared with non-picked notes. I started to use all fingers for picking to try and compensate for these discrepancies in note volume. Using a pick was a complete failure for me.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited January 2023
    I strive to improve my legato, especially making it sound rhythmically precise. And also creating interesting lines that are not just running up and down a sequence.

I'm not sure of the balance between a 'pull-off' technique and a 'hammers' technique when descending.

I know that Allan Holdsworth and Marshall Harrison are proponents of the 'hammers only' approach.

I can't be sure, but it appears that Tom Quayle, Brett Garsed, Allen Hinds etc might be doing a mixture of a 'pull-offs' and a 'hammers' technique when descending.

There's also the issue of leaving fingers 'planted' (or not) on the fretboard, when playing notes with other fingers.

Perhaps we need the equivalent of Troy Grady; to do for legato, what he did for picking

Which reminds me that Rick Graham did a neat demonstration of the 'hammers only' approach a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgG73WnXxnE
    It's not a competition.
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308

There's also the issue of leaving fingers 'planted' (or not) on the fretboard, when playing notes with other fingers
    Tom did a video on this very subject for those interested in checking it out…

https://youtu.be/2fcnpwZSXIA
  • Oh, that’s cool. I didn’t know he used his middle finger to play the string when doing legato. I’ll try that out today. Thanks for the video
    link op.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2173
    Oh, that’s cool. I didn’t know he used his middle finger to play the string when doing legato. I’ll try that out today. Thanks for the video
    link op.
    I tried it earlier. It was pretty tricky to get it to sound smooth. Therefore I gave up. :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nerine said:
    Oh, that’s cool. I didn’t know he used his middle finger to play the string when doing legato. I’ll try that out today. Thanks for the video
    link op.
    I tried it earlier. It was pretty tricky to get it to sound smooth. Therefore I gave up. :D 

Yes very tricky.

...And Brett Garsed uses his middle, ring and pinkie :astonished: 

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    GuyBoden said:
    The amazing Tom Quayle demonstrating and explaining his incredible Legato technique.

Pretty sure I was there. Think it was the workshop he gave in Birmingham. Amazing player and a true gent to boot. I've had a few interesting chats with him.
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    He's incredibly good ....and his technique is amazing ; I would love to have  ten per cent of that skill but the distorted /overdriven speed legato sound doesn't do anything for me .....it sounds like a plink-plinky video game soundtrack by computer
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Tom Quayle and @nikharrison are doing wonders for my fretting hand strength and stamina.