Guitar Depth

What's Hot
I've noticed that my discomfort with most acoustics seems to stem not only from their overall size,a narrow neck and wide lower bout,but also the guitar depth. I assume many acoustics are deeper to enhance the sound but are there any brands which have narrower depth bodies too?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't know what body shapes you're interested in but OM's are usually less deep than dreadnoughts. Much more comfortable to play in my opinion, I think the brand is irrelevant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know what body shapes you're interested in but OM's are usually less deep than dreadnoughts. Much more comfortable to play in my opinion, I think the brand is irrelevant. 

I was hoping somebody would say that. Its the downside of not being able to physically go into many shops and try guitars out.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5429
    There are some models that are deliberately comparatively shallow.

From memory the Yamaha APX range have thin bodies.

And OM or Parlour shapes will often be thinner than dreads or jumbo.

I've also seen some Fenders (I think) that are quite shallow but are still full acoustic, so not the Acoustasonic models.

It will affect volume/projection, though. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @guitarjack66 ; I had the same issue and solved it with an OM.

I found I didn't loses any volume of bass doing that but comfort wise, great improvement. 

• Mellish said:
    @guitarjack66 ; I had the same issue and solved it with an OM.

I found I didn't loses any volume of bass doing that but comfort wise, great improvement. 

Good advice Mellish. OM,000 and Parlour are my acoustic end goals.Maybe one of each or just one from three but the more hours you put in on playing the more you realise that comfort is probably the main priority to begin with. Only then would I get too bogged down with the nuances of tone and so on. Its taken me a month or two to realise that my Tele I bought needs quite a bit of modification to reach a happy comfort level for me. Ultimately its narrow fretboard and string spacing could see me sell another Tele on quite quickly. Acoustics are my preference but at least one electric is what I strive for. 
    @guitarjack66 ; just try a few 000/OM mate, you'll see what I mean.

:) 
  • I've got a Taylor GS mini, it's a small bodied acoustic, the lower bout is 10 cm deep. Might be what you need?
    The Yamaha APX is 9 cm deep.
    If you're just playing for yourself and are happy with headphones or a small amp then maybe a Yamaha silent guitar?
  • It's a different sound but you could try a full acoustic archtop. These are very shallow, regularly have large necks, but often a big lower bout. Probably wouldn't suit open chord strumming though. 
  • Choivert said:
    It's a different sound but you could try a full acoustic archtop. These are very shallow, regularly have large necks, but often a big lower bout. Probably wouldn't suit open chord strumming though. 
    Archtops look lovely and they are a bucket list item for me.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    edited January 2023
    it is quite amazing how much impact on playing comfort just 5mm can make both in lower bout width and/or body depth,  with very little impact on "fullness of tone"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6275
    My nerdy research spreadsheet shows depths varying between 98mm for Martin 000Jr to 124mm for Martin D. 

The Martin SC13/SC10 has been designed from the ground up as a more comfy medium size acoustic and is 103mm. I'll try one when I can. 
  • goldtop said:
    My nerdy research spreadsheet shows depths varying between 98mm for Martin 000Jr to 124mm for Martin D. 

The Martin SC13/SC10 has been designed from the ground up as a more comfy medium size acoustic and is 103mm. I'll try one when I can. 
    They are pretty significant measurements for body depth. I play mostly sitting down and deeper guitars are a bit awkward whereas those who stand maybe gig will probably enjoy or not significantly notice those differences. Wide fretboard,less depth and a narrowish lower bout are my preferred options.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5610
    I'm not so sure about US and your local European makes, but both of my major local makers have made-for-playing-live models with thinline bodies. Presumably this is also done by other makers. These thinline models sacrifice some acoustic tone and volume but are more comfortable for playing gigs with (at least some players think they are, not sure I'd care or even really notice myself) and are also more feedback resistant. Maton's model is called the Performer, Cole Clark have a variety of Thinline models.  Both manufacturers, however, make their standard small body guitars the same depth as dreadnoughts, this produces a better, fuller tone especially at the bottom end.

Most of the American majors make their small body models thinner than their dreds - my concert-size Guild, for example, is between 90mm and110mm deep where the standard Matons and the Cole Clark are all 100-120mm, which is also the standard size for dreadnoughts (of pretty much any brand).  For comparison, Cole Clark Thinlines are a maximum of 75mm, the Maton Performer a bit more than that. 

I had a vague notion that Taylor did the same thing, but looking at their website just now I don't see it. I may have been thinking of their crossover models, or perhaps it was a different maker. Considering how many acoustics are primarily played plugged-in, you'd expect thinline models to be quite common.

A quick search brings up many results, for examplet his one: https://guitaristnextdoor.com/thin-body-acoustic-guitars/

(Not a recommendation, I haven't read it, but on first sight it seems to be on-topic.)

PS: if you want to slip over here one day, bring a hat. You can have a session on one of my 808s (not thinline but very, very comfortable guitars to play). If you don't agree with me about that, I'll eat your hat. :)

• Tannin said:
    I'm not so sure about US and your local European makes, but both of my major local makers have made-for-playing-live models with thinline bodies. Presumably this is also done by other makers. These thinline models sacrifice some acoustic tone and volume but are more comfortable for playing gigs with (at least some players think they are, not sure I'd care or even really notice myself) and are also more feedback resistant. Maton's model is called the Performer, Cole Clark have a variety of Thinline models.  Both manufacturers, however, make their standard small body guitars the same depth as dreadnoughts, this produces a better, fuller tone especially at the bottom end.

Most of the American majors make their small body models thinner than their dreds - my concert-size Guild, for example, is between 90mm and110mm deep where the standard Matons and the Cole Clark are all 100-120mm, which is also the standard size for dreadnoughts (of pretty much any brand).  For comparison, Cole Clark Thinlines are a maximum of 75mm, the Maton Performer a bit more than that. 

I had a vague notion that Taylor did the same thing, but looking at their website just now I don't see it. I may have been thinking of their crossover models, or perhaps it was a different maker. Considering how many acoustics are primarily played plugged-in, you'd expect thinline models to be quite common.

A quick search brings up many results, for examplet his one: https://guitaristnextdoor.com/thin-body-acoustic-guitars/

(Not a recommendation, I haven't read it, but on first sight it seems to be on-topic.)

PS: if you want to slip over here one day, bring a hat. You can have a session on one of my 808s (not thinline but very, very comfortable guitars to play). If you don't agree with me about that, I'll eat your hat. :)

I'd love to be able to pop over to Tasmania at sometime but it would probably be in another lifetime,unfortunately.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    I think all Martin 10 series are shallower.  As is the j-45 studio.
  • While I appreciate the various Martin comments(I realise that their sizes became the industry standard,and maybe still are?) but that level of guitar will unlikely ever be in my price range.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    @guitarjack66 ;
    what do you envisage your budget could be ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • While I appreciate the various Martin comments(I realise that their sizes became the industry standard,and maybe still are?) but that level of guitar will unlikely ever be in my price range.
    Then I suggest you look at an Eastman E10 00. Small body size, a wider fingerboard and a very good Martin substitute for about £1,000.
  • bertie said:
    @guitarjack66 ;
    what do you envisage your budget could be ? 
    I've never paid more than 500 quid for a guitar, but often much less.
    @guitarjack66 ; I'd say don't get discourages.

There must be many good guitars out there within your budget. Just pop along to a store, tell 'em your budget and they'll get a few together for you to try.

:)