Guitar Depth

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7391
    edited January 2023
    I know that this potential suggestion seems to be the exact opposite of what you are looking to find, i.e. a shallower bodied acoustic, but bear with me.  I was lusting over a Levinson Sangamon LS-43 that was being sold on Gumtree for £500.  New price is between £800 and £900.  I ended up buying something else so I never went to check it out, but one thing that I did notice from the Levinson website, and from the appointed distributor Scan.co.uk, was that it is a "deep bodied concert size".  This is deliberate and to compensate for the lessened internal air volume and loss in some tonal range, loudness and projection caused by the pinched-in and smaller body size that sits somewhere between a parlour and OM types.  One of the comments I heard or read while I was checking out reviews was that, despite the increased body depth, the shape of the guitar made it very easy to play and the greater depth wasn't noticeable.  As I say though, I never went to see the guitar and hold it for myself.

Oh damn, just did another search and it's still there on Gumtree calling me quietly but persuasively. The ad has expired about 4 times and been reposted again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Leftfield suggestion: have you ever tried an Ovation? They are definitely not for everyone - and do tend to have smaller necks, which may be an issue for you - but the odd shape of the body makes them feel less bulky than they are, even the full-depth ones. Especially when sitting down, the guitar 'leans back' towards you so the top is closer to your body at the upper edge. Equally, a lot of people find this and their tendency to slide into this position from upright offputting... and that's before you get to the sound! It has to be said that the electrified models in particular don't sound like wooden guitars - the fully-acoustic ones (which they haven't made for decades I don't think) are quite a lot more natural-sounding, it seems to be something to do with the bridge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Leftfield suggestion: have you ever tried an Ovation? They are definitely not for everyone - and do tend to have smaller necks, which may be an issue for you - but the odd shape of the body makes them feel less bulky than they are, even the full-depth ones. Especially when sitting down, the guitar 'leans back' towards you so the top is closer to your body at the upper edge. Equally, a lot of people find this and their tendency to slide into this position from upright offputting... and that's before you get to the sound! It has to be said that the electrified models in particular don't sound like wooden guitars - the fully-acoustic ones (which they haven't made for decades I don't think) are quite a lot more natural-sounding, it seems to be something to do with the bridge.
    Ironically my guitar teacher has an Ovation and uses it for gigging.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom