slide guitar stuff

What's Hot
a question for the wisdom of the forum. I am thinking of giving middle finger slide a go. a ring finger slider for many years I am primarily a single notes or small cluster chords/diads kind of guy. Thinking of other middle finger slide players and Google search has not proved that enlightening. There are or course Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, Bonnie Raitt and Ron Wood, any others spring to mind I could give a closer look to? Like many players of my vintage I started off with my little finger and the Stefan Grossman/Sam Mitchell guides, changing to my ring finger, to improve damping and control with a heavier slide, about fifteen years ago. I guess Jeff's recent death resulted in the posting of a number of YouTube clips which provoked my curiosity about this style, particularly for single note electric playing   Thanks David
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    It's definitely not the most useful way to do it but I play that way as I have more control than with a pinky. 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    I know most of the arguments, middle finger is stronger and that kind of thing .But, I bought a Dunlop chrome  slide that fits my little finger , and I have never got-a-round to buying  a bigger one.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 371
    Watch some videos of Rainer Ptacek  or alternatively this dude playing a similar messer to the one that my best mate of almost 50 years has.

Apologies for any serial killer fears caused by this video...

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 371
    I understand this hasn't answered your question OP, but it's pretty educational.
  • Jfingers said:
    I understand this hasn't answered your question OP, but it's pretty educational.
    The player in the video reminds me of a young bjørn lægreid from the cool programme 'Ice Road Rescue' [thumb up emoji]
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Billy Gibbons. ‘Nuff said.

I dabble with middle finger slide, the biggest benefit being freeing up the  ring finger for typical pentatonic 1-3 playing. I find you start to integrate slide and fretted playing more intuitively than the slide on the pinky and you start to get an insight into these players styles. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    Jason Isbell plays with his middle finger and he talks about his approach here:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    thanks @daveyh and @Lewy ;