Alan Darby

KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited January 2023 in Tributes
Saddened to hear of the passing of this wonderful Guitarist, Gent and Scotsman

He was the longtime guitarist in the London We Will Rock You musical but was also Clapton and Bonnie Rait"s side man and played with many other big names - https://www.allmusic.com/artist/alan-darby-mn0000524628/credits

I had the pleasure of doing a show with him in 1990 where he wanted me to show him my rack rig and sounds and run through it as well as the techniques I was using on that date (dive bombing, tapping crap etc)  - I think he was being nice and supportive to me as when I heard him play, I thought WTF!!!

We met again at a gig when his blues band supported Gary Moore and then one day on Denmark Street where we hung about the music shops and he gave me an open invite to come along and sit in the pit with him and watch one of the WWRY shows at the Dominion Theatre. Sadly, I didn't take him up on his kind offer.

R.I.P. Alan
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great player, and modest too. I met him briefly a couple of times back in the day, once playing on the same bill (he was in the headline act of course). I compared his band favourably to a name band of the day and he was having none of it - “you wouldn’t think we were as good as them if you’d heard them live”. RIP.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom