Wireless - to pedal board or where?

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 632
How do you setup your guitar wireless if you run a pedalboard?
My gtr cable goes into my pedalboard. Most receivers i've seen look like a brick that needs to be sat on an amp somewhere. If i ran wireless, it seems a bit pointless to go to a recvr back near the amp then run another long cable back to the pedalboard. It gets you mobile but its another loooong cable in the chain.
Or do you put the receiver on the floor?!  Bit dodgy surely. There's no room on the board.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mine’s on my board.

• Mine too.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    Mine is under the board, and it plugs into a box I put together which has two jack inputs - if I plug a lead into the unused 2nd input, it mutes the wireless receiver on the 1st input. Otherwise, the wireless signal passes through to the first pedal.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28423
    There seems to be a gap in the market for a two-way wireless doodad. Guitar to a box on the pedal board with an out (to your pedals) and an in (from your pedals, then another box at the amp.

DECT is inherently two-way but not quite like this. But you can run multiple DECT things together without clashes. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Mine was on my board. But yes the most fragile (and probably the most expensive) thing on there with little antenna sticking out. Did seem to be an accident waiting to happen. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I've got a Line 6 G30 and the receiver is mounted under my pedalboard next to my pedal PSU.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24388
    I've got a G70 and it's on my board. It's also my tuner.
    I wonder what the latency would be like if you did wireless 4CM.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24388
    Sporky said:
    I wonder what the latency would be like if you did wireless 4CM.
    Signal latency or the latency between posting about it on TGP and the responses from those claiming their ears can tell the difference between 1.5ms and 3ms while moving around on a stage?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Both matter!

I did a quick investigate, and I think having four wireless links using the latest DECT stuff should only be around 10-15ms. About the same as standing 4m away from your amp. 
  • I have a patch box under the board with a top-mounted input jack, into which I plug the receiver.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• When I did gig I used a Line 6 Relay G50 and the receiver fit on my pedalboard before my tuner. Worked nicely and didn't take up much space. Now I've moved on from physical pedals and would be playing a Kemper Profiler live with the footcontroller so I presume I'd have the receiver before the input of the Kemper.
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited January 2023
    I just use a little Wingo w58 jobby, 5.8GHz transmission where the Rx and Tx are the same size, ie, very small.

Over the years I've had Nady, Sennheiser and Line 6 and this does the same job.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Always remember, you can't plug these into a fuzz- well you can try, but the fuzz will lose all its mojo.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• dariusdarius Frets: 632
    So on the floor is the concensus it seems. 
    Too delicate for me I reckon. 
  • I whack mine in the input of my tuner. Its one of these so pretty small and doesn't need to be a permanent part of the boarc

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/xvive-xu2-wireless-instrument-system-black/909376?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAoL6eBhA3EiwAXDom5mC1RKM0jb5loqbJH65A8IYdneAHikBtU3gRRwltrx1H0aDTkwxSDhoCRtUQAvD_BwE
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Sporky said:
    There seems to be a gap in the market for a two-way wireless doodad. Guitar to a box on the pedal board with an out (to your pedals) and an in (from your pedals, then another box at the amp.

DECT is inherently two-way but not quite like this. But you can run multiple DECT things together without clashes. 
    Im actually amazed by this too but not for the use case you mean, I am surprised that no one has combined guitar or voice transmitter with IEM stereo receive in a single beltpack. Last time I looked I think shure had something but it was mega expensive. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Sporky said:

Im actually amazed by this too but not for the use case you mean, I am surprised that no one has combined guitar or voice transmitter with IEM stereo receive in a single beltpack. Last time I looked I think shure had something but it was mega expensive. 
    Causes all sorts of bother having a transmit antenna and a receive antenna in such close proximity. On bigger stages (where all the radio kit is in the wings over at monitor world) we'll put a fair distance between IEM transmit and mic/guitar receive antennas, and we'll at the very least make sure if someone's wearing a transmitter and an IEM pack, they're on opposite sides of their body. 
  • mike257 said:
    Sporky said:

Causes all sorts of bother having a transmit antenna and a receive antenna in such close proximity. On bigger stages (where all the radio kit is in the wings over at monitor world) we'll put a fair distance between IEM transmit and mic/guitar receive antennas, and we'll at the very least make sure if someone's wearing a transmitter and an IEM pack, they're on opposite sides of their body. 
    Ahh interesting, so perhaps I cold reduce interference by changing where i wear my pack, right now the guitar tranmitter is a plug type one (xvive) and I wear my IEM back on my belt just behing my hip on the same side but maybe I might see a difference wearing it on my other side or even on the guitar strap at the top.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    The board is wired to my amps.  The receiver is the input to the board and the transmitter is plugged into my guitar.  A simple setup that works fine for me.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum