SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB a set screw for precision bass machine head gear pinion

Does any one have a Broken machine head ( sometime ears have fallen off the peg...  or a spare said  cross head screw that fits into the gear  pinion ( it screws into the tuning post to make certain they are attached )  - this is an American precision from the 60s....,,  but rather mysteriously the screw in the back of the D machine head disappeared !  Not too worried if it is  brighter more modern looking chrome -  it serves function rather than vintage correct  I have a picture of said issue for reference if anyone has something to help !  There is a wonder whether the shaller F replacement has the same thread but £35 for one including  postage is a lot for one screw especially if it's metric  ! And the posts look decidedly chunkier in diameter   Cheers Mike.   It's like the for want of a horse shoe nail analogy - very irritating 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    I shall have a rummage. A photograph illustrating the screw thread would help.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Ok doke I'll do a pic of one of the others  ping me a message with an email and I'll ping it to you.. I'm certain  it will be quite a fine thread from memory - like BSF/BA or cycle but US and def imperial - it's a  sixties bass
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    There are many different threads for these, and a modern replacement won't fit - as you say it has to be the original US type (I forget what the thread description is).

They have a habit of falling out - if they're even slightly loose, the vibration from the strings over time will gradually undo them. It's best to thread lock them into place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein