Does anyone else get metronome "timewarp"?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4226
When I'm practicing fast (well fast for me) alternate picking with a metronome, right after I finish playing a burst it feels like the metronome speeds up. I've videoed myself and when I play it back I'm playing in time, so it's as if while I'm playing that burst my perception of tempo slows down a bit. Weird.

Anyone else get that? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    edited January 2023
    I do.

I equate it with being 'in the zone'.

Sometimes on stage, you get in that wonderful headspace where you feel like you have all the time in the world to think what you're playing and make your fingers play it.

At other times, everything feels flustered and uncomfortable.

I just wish I knew how to get onto that zone every time I play!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can believe it, practicing with a metronome gives me all sorts of odd voodoo.  

Most recently I’ve been working on a old GP Paul Gilbert article that is supposed to be at 130.  Playing it at the speed feels quite fast, but listening back it feels quite slow and pedestrian.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think your perception of how in time you are is far more acute when you are playing than listening. I'll often record stuff either rehearsal or gigs where i think.."oh we played that pretty sloppy" but often when I listen back later to the recording it doesnt seem nearly as bad to me. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom