Recording with Ox: Pedal click

What's Hot
I am just getting into recording via the direct line in the Ox box to Logic Pro - really enjoying it so far.

The only thing I can’t work out is how to avoid the live recording picking up the clicking sound when I turn the overdrive on mid way through recording.

Is there a way for this to be avoided?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Is the OD a real pedal that’s being used in front of the amp? 
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Ie if the noise is part of what the OX is picking up, then it’s faithfully capturing the click - and am not sure if that can be removed.  You could use a soft OD in logic? 
  • slawlerslawler Frets: 35
    I am using a real pedal from my pedalboard that is between my guitar and the amp.

So if you are recording directly from the Ox with pedals being used half way through a recording, there’s no way to avoid it picking up the sound of the pedal being turned on?
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 691
    edited January 2023
    You could:

Get a pedal that doesn't pop when you switch it.

Get a  bypass looper that doesn't pop when you switch it (GigRig QMX are excellent)

Record in multiple takes to avoid the pop.

Edit: obviously the pop from the pedal when you switch it would be coming through the amp, and any recording solution would be picking it up. I assume you're not finding the Ox to be different in this respect ?
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • slawlerslawler Frets: 35
    So the way I am using it is starting the recording but using a looping pedal to record a loop without overdrive.

In the same take, I am then clicking the Duellist pedal on for overdrive lead lines but when clicking down there is a clear popping sound in the recording.

I suppose the only option would to record it over multiple takes but I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.
  • Sounds authentic to me...keep it in ;)

But srsly, I would tend to record different tones in different takes.

At a gig, I got into the weird habit of always trying to make pedal changes on a downbeat!
  • There's a reason Boss, Ibanez etc introduced relay switching in the past. ;)

Sometimes, these mechanical footswitches build up a charge which then causes a click but subsequent switches are fine and do not click.

Try switching the pedal on and off a couple of times just before recording to dissipate the charge build-up and it may be quieter when you then switch during the recording.
  • Try recording just the clean switch click - invert it, sync it up with the 'bad' click and add to the mix - it should cancel the worst of the click.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 362
    Never done and recording or used any recording software but couldn’t you just cut the click out in s/ware and replace it by stretching out the previous sounds?