Soundhole pickups. Whats your favourite?

What's Hot
Hey guys. A good 13 or so years ago I used to own a jumbo cedar top, rosewood sides acoustic, and bought an active Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking pickup. It was bloomin’ lovely. With new inbound Redwood top jumbo on it’s way to me, what pickups are still doing the rounds, and suitable for regular professional live music? Budget would be about 250. Hit me with your recommendations! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've been using the Schertler AG6 with My D28 for about 2 years now and its great. Had to go through 2 faulty ones to start off with though as they had component issues but the company were quick to send me new ones. I mainly use it at home so always blend in full mic (it has a small condenser you can plug into the pickup) and it sounds natural and warm. 

I also have the iRig Acoustic stage as backup and that also does a very good job at replicating a nice condenser mic in front of the guitar.

Haven't really used anything else apart from those two. Well, I did play an LR Baggs Anthem in a store when trying out Martins.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3273
    I’ve an LR Baggs Anthem SL in my Guild; it’s one of the best so far. Used some nice schertler pickups in early Auden guitars too. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I like the LR Baggs M80 (useful either passive or active if you need the preamp). I like the Fishman Blackstack too - a lighter version of the legendary Sunrise. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27230
    I had a Baggs M1A in a Taylor 224 about 10 years ago - that was excellent for the money. 

The Anthem in my Martin is really good but a bit more complicated than your basic soundhole pickup
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 406
    For that money, I'd go for the Fishman Rare Earth Blend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've used a Schertler Ag6 for the last few years and tried out a few at the time. It's got a really nice full sound, and it's got an input jack so you can add a second source if you want. Bit expensive but I've got good use out of it and it was worth it for me. 

Other than that I've always been impressed with the L R Baggs ones (M80 or M1). Fishman also a solid choice. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    I still like the plain Rare Earth best. I don't like blends, they just don't sound right to me and cause feedback. I didn't really get on with the Baggs M1A either - it was microphonic in the wrong way somehow, it seemed clangy and fed back more easily than the Fishman as well.

That said, I don't use soundhole pickups to give the truest representation of an acoustic guitar sound anyway - I use piezo USTs through modelling to do that - I just want a good tone that's somewhere between an acoustic and a clean electric. [Heresy alert] I also use them for overdrive... the Fishman works well for that too, although the best was a broken one which I bypassed the preamp on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Seems like Schertlers are now super rare to find. Has anyone tried the Baggs M80? Anthem would be my choice but expense for the split saddle piezo is out my range.
  • ICBM said:
    That said, I don't use soundhole pickups to give the truest representation of an acoustic guitar sound anyway - I use piezo USTs through modelling to do that - I just want a good tone that's somewhere between an acoustic and a clean electric. [Heresy alert] I also use them for overdrive... the Fishman works well for that too, although the best was a broken one which I bypassed the preamp on.
    What modelling do you use?
  • Seems like Schertlers are now super rare to find. Has anyone tried the Baggs M80? Anthem would be my choice but expense for the split saddle piezo is out my range.
    I had to get mine direct from them in Switzerland as they don't have any UK retailers that I know of.
    Vintage65 said:

What modelling do you use?
    Currently a Boss AD-8. Previously I had a Fishman Aura Spectrum, which I think at its best sounded a bit better - but it was overly settings-sensitive and PA-dependent, and it was as easy to make it sound bad as great... so for live use, where I was likely to be plugged into a PA over which I have no control, it was too much of a risk. The footswitches and the tuner were shit as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Anymore to add to this? Have a friend willing to give me a rare earth humbucking (not blend) for free, which means I could put money towards a Venue DI.

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1595
    Seems like Schertlers are now super rare to find. Has anyone tried the Baggs M80? Anthem would be my choice but expense for the split saddle piezo is out my range.
    I use one and like it. You can switch between active and passive mode which is a bonus. My one gripe is that the switch to do this is right at the bottom so it's virtually impossible to do it without removing it first. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anymore to add to this? Have a friend willing to give me a rare earth humbucking (not blend) for free, which means I could put money towards a Venue DI.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Gandalph said:
    Seems like Schertlers are now super rare to find. Has anyone tried the Baggs M80? Anthem would be my choice but expense for the split saddle piezo is out my range.
    I use one and like it. You can switch between active and passive mode which is a bonus. My one gripe is that the switch to do this is right at the bottom so it's virtually impossible to do it without removing it first. 
    Yep, it’s a PITA on an otherwise great pickup. 

Have a friend willing to give me a rare earth humbucking (not blend) for free, which means I could put money towards a Venue DI.
    That's the best one anyway in my opinion :)

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 238
    I have a Fishman Rare Earth single coil and a Baggs M1a. Both soundhole, both active, like them both.
    If you've been offered a Fishman rare earth what do you have to lose?  My Fishman rare earth is surprisingly good.
     :)

• Thanks guys.

all very helpful!