Studio makeover.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
edited February 2023 in Studio & Recording
This has cropped up in a couple of threads but my studio has been completely rebuilt so I thought I'd run through what we did.

My studio is a garage about 10m x 4.5m in size, with a 6.5m live room and a 3.5m store/machine room at one end, 2.5m ceiling height.
For the last 7 years I've lived with the less than ideal acoustics- it is a stone, brick and concrete structure, so it was a disaster really.
I wanted to fix this.
I also wanted something a lot more secure and insulated, cover up some sky lights, double doors between the studio and machine room and had a few other requirements.

I employed an acoustician friend to do the acoustic design of the room.
He recommended changing the dimensions slightly, bringing one wall forward by 0.5m.
Also dropping the ceiling height over the mix position with a dropped bulkhead (by 200mm), so that my ears and monitors were not at 50% of the ceiling height.

We framed up the room, filled the cavities with rockwool, rebuilt walls, redid the electrics, replaced old track lighting with recessed spots (Philips Hue).
I wanted channels for audio cabling and I decided on using removable skirting for this with (lots of) Cat6a cabling running just above the audio cable channels.
A lot of time was spent running power away from audio and Cat6a.

I am also putting everything with a fan in the machine room in a 45u server rack.

We are hanging a lot of bass traps in the wall/ceiling corners, some of the ceiling and a lot on the walls.
We are hopefully finishing the build tomorrow and then I can get to running the audio cabling and putting all the gear in the room.

Really pleased how it has turned out- can't wait to get back to work.
Some pics:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments