Studio makeover.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    octatonic said:
    Everything is taking ages now.
    But it is coming together slowly.

Yes, I know the speakers are too wide- this is to make cabling everything easier for now.

Been watching this with interest... I'm super jealous of your setup and I can appreciate the hard work involved (and cost!).

The left hand window is a little frustrating but all rooms have their challenges! Notice you don't have a great deal of diffusion going on and lots of broadband absorption. floor finish obviously helps but be interested in what the RT20 looks like across the spectrum.

Do you have any low end mode issues you've had to target with pressure based treatment (or intend to)?

Most importantly how does the room feel? What's the imaging like? 

Do you have any REW before/afters?

I'd love to have a listen :)

Si

Thank you.

Yes, I did extensive room readings and had an acoustic consultant who suggested room dimensions.
    We were specifically treating an axial room mode at 59hz.
    It was really atrocious before- it is mostly fixed now- we did this by changing the room dimensions, bringing the rear wall forward, lowering the ceiling over the mix position so I wasn't listening at 50% of the height of the room.

Here is the RT60 of the Left ATC:

Diffusion doesn't seem to be necessary so far- the equipment on the left and right sides seems to be doing a decent job of it.
    We went for a live end, dead end, but I can always add some if need be.

One thing to know is one set of monitors are Kii Threes and the other has a Trinnov room correction system.
    The Kiis are something special.
    Here is an REW of the Kiis in Exact mode (most DSP) (1/3rd smoothing):

This is the Left ATC with no Trinnov:

Left ATC with Trinnov:

and here they are all together:

Specs aside- the room sounds pretty good now.
    We did as much as we could within the budget we had.
    To do more would cost a lot more, I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IMC1980 said:
    Your studio looks fucking brilliant. 
    Thank you.
    Sporky said:
    That looks like a fantastic, productive space. 
    Thanks Andi- yes I am pretty happy with it and feel very lucky.
    Habanero said:
    I have no idea what that wall of knobs does, but it definitely looks impressive!
    The modular?
    It is a machine that goes bing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17639
    tFB Trader
    That looks great, what a fun space!
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Yes, I know the speakers are too wide- this is to make cabling everything easier for now.

Been watching this with interest... I'm super jealous of your setup and I can appreciate the hard work involved (and cost!).

The left hand window is a little frustrating but all rooms have their challenges! Notice you don't have a great deal of diffusion going on and lots of broadband absorption. floor finish obviously helps but be interested in what the RT20 looks like across the spectrum.

Do you have any low end mode issues you've had to target with pressure based treatment (or intend to)?

Si

Thank you.

Yes, I did extensive room readings and had an acoustic consultant who suggested room dimensions.
    It was really atrocious before- it is mostly fixed now- we did this by changing the room dimensions, bringing the rear wall forward, lowering the ceiling over the mix position so I wasn't listening at 50% of the height of the room.

Diffusion doesn't seem to be necessary so far- the equipment on the left and right sides seems to be doing a decent job of it.

One thing to know is one set of monitors are Kii Threes and the other has a Trinnov room correction system.

Left ATC with Trinnov:

Really appreciate you taking the time to post this as I have more than a passive interest in acoustics in relation to mastering/mixing/recording.

Objectively speaking I think you’d be building from the ground up though get any significant improvement although I’m sure you’ll be tweaking after you’ve given it some time. Space and budget do tend to limit what’s practical in the real world unfortunately :)

I hope you have many happy and productive hours in there and I’m sure it sounds incredible!

Si

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Si

Thank you.

Left ATC with Trinnov:

Really appreciate you taking the time to post this as I have more than a passive interest in acoustics in relation to mastering/mixing/recording.

Objectively speaking I think you’d be building from the ground up though get any significant improvement although I’m sure you’ll be tweaking after you’ve given it some time. Space and budget do tend to limit what’s practical in the real world unfortunately :)

I hope you have many happy and productive hours in there and I’m sure it sounds incredible!

Si

Thank you Si.
    Yes I agree- we did talk about moving off site and constructing an entirely new facility.

A new build would have been at least double, maybe more, plus the site to put it on and then I would have had a commute.
    I'd have had a better room, maybe with a dedicated live room but it didn't make sense at the moment.

Re your 'more than passing interest'- are you in the industry in some way?