SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB/Need Advice on Mandolin w/pickup

Hi all!

I'm in the pit on a show coming up in a couple of months and I've just looked through the parts...it seems I'm in need of a mandolin.

Given the circumstances, I think a pickup would probably be the easiest solution for getting the noise into the PA. I'll be running my guitar through a Quad Cortex so I should be able to run the mandolin through the same with a reasonable IR and sound more than passable without faffing with mics.

I think I want an F style (purely on a whim, just prefer the look) if I'm going traditional-esque but part of me is wondering if I should try to hunt down something like a Godin A8?

Budget? flexible depending on how easy it makes my job but I'd like to keep it around the 500 mark or lower rather than edging towards the 1k mark. 

What do folks suggest?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I wonder if you have tried a mando? I did and my fingers wouldn't fit.

You might like to capo your guitar high up on the neck for the same effect?
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    I could, and if the mandolin plan doesn’t pan out then that’s probably what I’ll do. 

But I’d like to try and keep authentic to the parts if I can. 
  • Have you thought of a Godin A8? Lots of flexibility in the sound and solid body so no feedback.
    Secondhand, should be broadly in your budget. Best wishes

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    As a broad rule of thumb expect to pay twice as much for a mandolin as you would for a guitar of a similar quality.
    Have you thought of a Godin A8? 

I keep debating between a few things but I suspect that if I can find one for a decent price, one of these would be my best bet. 
    drofluf said:
    As a broad rule of thumb expect to pay twice as much for a mandolin as you would for a guitar of a similar quality.
    This is very helpful actually, thanks!
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I have a lovely little Fylde mandolin that sits unplayed next to me. No pickup, though. I can PM you details if you'd like but it's definitely in your price range.  
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited February 2023
    Paul Hathaway in East London, actually Wanstead, makes some very nice instruments. Hobgoblin carry much of his range. Don't know if you're London based there's a decent shop in Rathbone Place W1.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Oh and K&K make a splendid sounding mandolin pickup
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    JCA2550 said:
    Paul Hathaway in East London, actually Wanstead, makes some very nice instruments. Hobgoblin carry much of his range. Don't know if you're London based there's a decent shop in Rathbone Place W1.
    I'd second that - used to have a lovely Hathaway mandolin. But I think @Evo wanted a f-style and the Hathways are A style.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    camf said:
    I have a lovely little Fylde mandolin that sits unplayed next to me. No pickup, though. I can PM you details if you'd like but it's definitely in your price range.  
    I just realised my Fylde is A style too. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I might have just what you need. It’s a Tanglewood TWMF but not the type with a single coil stuck on it. It’s the proper acoustic version that the previous owner fitted a pickup inside. A bit of a rare beast, no photos on the internet but it’s more or less this 

With this pick guard on 

It’s a little nicer than the electric versions, plays nicely and sounds very sweet and clear. 

If it’s of any interest, I’ll dig it out and take some pics. 
  • For the job you need this for, I’ll add my plus one to the Godin camp. Superb plugged-in sound, hassle free, no brain ache. I’ve been a festival sound engineer forever and it’s not that easy to get a great natural sound from a pure acoustic mandolin, even using the excellent K&K. The Godin will need no preamp, plug and play. Disadvantage - needs to be plugged in, not designed for playing acoustically.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Oh, you won’t get anywhere close to the right sound by capoing high on a standard acoustic by the way. 
    I had a Godin A8 for a while, and it’s a good option for plugged in work
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • In terms of pickups, the LR Baggs Radius is superb. It’s a passive soundboard pickup that sits on top. I use it straight into a DI and sounds incredible. My mando is my own handbuilt flat top, but my first was a Tanglewood F style - also a great little machine. I prefer flat top folk mandolins though, due to a slightly wider fretboard than the bluegrass.