how would you recommend a rubbish guitarist to try playing live for one time (in a band situation)?

What's Hot
i really am not a good guitarist but would love to try playing live in a band situation just one time (just to face one of my fears and   also because i would love to do it once in my life just to prove to myself/say i did it). i know those reasons are at opposite ends of the spectrum lol.

how might you recommend going about it? (i do suffer with anxiety and depression unfortunately)

the other problem is that i don't have a car so that would be an issue too so would have to be locally (i live in devizes wiltshire).

should i just knock this on the head tbh and just keep playing at home (as i do) or do you think i should try and give it a go?

i can play a few rush covers (metallica nothing else matters) and some bass (very basic though no pun intended/am very much a beginner on the instrument/tbh as guitar lol).

i would be more than happy to just play simple stuff and back up band if required (certainly don't want to be frontperson lol)

thanks for reading this rubbish.   
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7291
    edited February 2023
    I think it would be a good idea for you to start looking for other musicians that are in a similar situation as yourself (i.e. never having played in a live band in front of an audience) who are fairly local to you and would be interested in jamming together.  Music shops used to have cards on their walls placed there by people, but maybe Facebook and other social media has taken over that idea.  Jamming is a great way to build up some confidence playing along with other people and is a good way to learn different guitar parts and how to interact with other guitarists so that you aren't just playing over the top of each other.  "Simple stuff" is the way to start when you begin playing with others.  It's a great buzz when you first hear your own playing fitting in with what the other musicians are playing, and that's something you can't really feel properly when playing at home to backing tracks or even doing multi-track recording.  There's something special about hearing it all coming together in a room for the first time. 

After you have built up some confidence being in a group setting you would feel a lot more comfortable and more confident in your own abilities to try and get a shot in a band, even if it's just for one number.

There used to be a place in Glasgow (maybe still open - The Cathouse) where bands that were just starting out could get up and do a 2 or 3 song set.  Most of it was pretty heavy stuff for an older guy like me, and a bit loud.  They could host quite a lot of bands in one night.  Some were pretty good musicians that had been practicing for a while but just hadn't yet had the opportunity to play to a live audience or didn't have a PA system, while others were very inexperienced, raw, and made mistakes, but the audiences were generally good and didn't ridicule, heckle or boo any bands that I ever saw and I think that was because a lot of the audiences were friends or family members.  The bands didn't get paid and the venue made its money from a small entry fee and sale of drinks, but it was a great idea for (mostly) younger musicians.

Perhaps there might be something like that near where you live, or maybe some of the members here that live down your way might know of other people in the area that are looking to jam together and perhaps form a band.  From the type of music you have mentioned it's not really something that would be suitable for most open mic nights.

One other thing I would add is that it is very common for guitarists who have been learning at home (and I include myself as a younger man) to learn only portions of songs, but never practice playing the songs all the way through from start to finish.  It's all very well learning the chords for a rhythm part and then assuming that because it is the same chords all the way through that you can play it all the way through.  You could easily find that if you then had to play the whole song you could end up with hand cramps or miscounting the bars and starting a middle eight too early or late.  The same is true if you are playing fill-in licks.  It's important to know the songs thoroughly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • @BillDL ah thanks for the reply.

will definitely have a look and see if i can find a local music group online for devizes area (beginner jamming etc) that def sounds like what i need to try.

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

Have you ever been for music lessons anywhere in your area?  If so, tutors normally know whether any of their other students might be interested in what you are looking for.  Have a look also on Gumtree for your area and search for players looking for bands or jam nights.
  • ah thanks @BillDL will try that also (currently haven't had any music lessons for a long time but i could contact my old guitar tutor). 

Good luck with your quest.  You mentioned having anxiety and depression.  I suspect that playing with others would be very remedial after you have got over the first hurdle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a live music Devizes page on Facebook, showing an open mic night at the Exchange just starting up, this would be a good place to start just talking to local muso’s 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Open mic ,jam nights would be ideal , go along surreptitiously as a watcher  find out which ones suit you the best make note of any songs they play that you think you could do or if there are people there who play the same type of stuff you would like to , then practice to a backing track 
    til you can play it without barely thinking  ,then go back & ask some participants if they would be up for playing said song another week  & give it a go. Or find some like minded people as yourself 
    and ask if they fancy a weekly jam with a view to performing at a jam night or a gig in the future 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17638
    tFB Trader
    I'd suggest an open mic night / jam night.

Go along as a watcher and then if it seems friendly go back as a player another time.

Or if you have any friends in bands ask if they mind you sitting in for an hour (offer to pay for their rehearsal room)

When I had singing lessons my teacher used to arrange performance nights, not sure if any guitar teachers do the same thing.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6882
    edited February 2023
    Get on the train to Bristol and go to the jam session there. Great and friendly way to start playing live.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/236092/western-jam-11th-february-2023-firebird-studios-bristol#latest
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Get on the train to Bristol and go to the jam session there. Great and friendly way to start playing live.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/236092/western-jam-11th-february-2023-firebird-studios-bristol#latest
    Was going to suggest exactly this.  Unfortunately I know Devizes is a PITA if you don't drive, as they forgot to build the railway.  But If you can find some way to make it...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/285/one-chord-progression-songs-suitable-for-jams-or-encores

Not sure how helpful (or accurate) all that is but I'm just pleased I managed to do a search on here and found what I wanted! But if you were thinking about working up/practising giggable versions of songs or the kind of things that come up at jam nights that might be a start. 

But yes Facebook groups, friends of friends, JoinMyBand (90% lunacy but there are normal people on there as well), jam nights, open mic nights, weekend warrior schemes. You will find someone(s) in a similar position. 

Be open minded about people and the music. Helping put together three Elvis songs for an open mic night isn't a lifetime commitment. 

I have had treatment for depression for about 9 years. The band stuff I did, by and large, was a positive in that. It's something positive to focus on, onstage you are very much in the moment and, to some extent, it's an opportunity to reinvent yourself. So, although your anxiety and depression may be an initial barrier to getting going it doesn't have to stop you and you may well find the experience you have actually helps. 

Good luck
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thanks all for the replies :-)

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    edited February 2023
    Southgate Inn Devizes for acoustic open mics (probably best if you can sing a bit too).

Duck Inn Laverstock for electric open mics / jams (2nd Thursday of the month but some talk of it becoming twice monthly).

Station Inn Andover for electric open mics / jams (3rd Monday)

I think there’s also a jam night at The Bull Downton but it’s recently changed management so not really sure at the moment. If it’s happening I think that’s also 3rd Monday).

As long as you can play a twelve bar in A, G, E, and C you’ll get by just fine. You’ll be jamming with other people so can easily just strum along and not be expected to play solos.

I appreciate not having a car makes things difficult but if you can find a way to get to a jam you’ll almost certainly enjoy it and will be back for more. First time is truly scary but once you settle into things it becomes addictive.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • You could go back to your guitar tutor and get ‘lessons’ in jamming. That was my pain the last lesson, he played a chord progression that I had to ad-lib a solo over. We then went over what I was doing & built up knowledge. At the time I found it embarrassing and really struggled but I’ve taken away so much

I’m sure a tutor would be happy to be ‘paid to jam’ but the confidence & experience you’d get with someone who’s there to help you and as others have said, might have a few ideas for people, places or even other students

I play rhythm in a Church band, a regular gig with a live audience that you can have a cup of tea with after. Modern churches will have a group & may well appreciate an extra guitar or bass. Maybe have a look around locally, sit in & see what the setup is and have a chat with the band after the service. 
  • Dude, go for it. I've never been the greatest guitar player, in fact some days I think I'm absolutely useless. But a mate of mine got me into putting a band together in 2019. I was hesitant at first, and very nearly chucked it in for confidence issues, but I persevered, and played my first proper live show in about 20+ years in 2021. Learning to play in a band situation has helped me improve immeasurably, plus it's heaps of fun. 

I don't even get overly worried about playing in front of an audience now, just get on with it. 

Our band has recorded and release an album now too, so I've also had exposure to the studio, which is another obstacle to overcome, but it's a challenge worth rising to. I've written songs now as well. All of it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't got over my initial fears and gone for it.

I'd 100% say go for it....and best of luck.
  • First of all I'd say definitely give it a go.  The best way to improve is to play with other musicians, and the best incentive to really get it together is a gig.

It might be worth seeking out some adult beginners courses.  Quite a few places run groups of sessions where you get together with a whole bunch of other musicians, plit onto groups, practice together for a couple of weeks and then do a gig for all the frineds and families of the participants at the end.  They're a great introduction to playing with other musicians, and the gig at the end is a fairly low-pressure affair
  • Go for it, but start off with a simple song, Wild Thing, House of the Rising Sun, Rebel Rebel or Jean Genie.

When I started (all those years ago) I first played with old school friends and then later with some work colleagues. I was playing live just before Christmas, an acoustic guitar set by myself at the office party, then the following day with a full band at the works Carol Concert in front of 100 odd staff and students doing lead vocals and bass. 

During Covid I was teaching a friend guitar over the net and when he was able to visit we did a good rendition of Jean Genie.

Don't for a minute think " just knock this on the head". Best of luck.
  • i really am not a good guitarist but would love to try playing live in a band situation just one time (just to face one of my fears and   also because i would love to do it once in my life just to prove to myself/say i did it). i know those reasons are at opposite ends of the spectrum lol.

how might you recommend going about it? (i do suffer with anxiety and depression unfortunately)

the other problem is that i don't have a car so that would be an issue too so would have to be locally (i live in devizes wiltshire).

should i just knock this on the head tbh and just keep playing at home (as i do) or do you think i should try and give it a go?

i can play a few rush covers (metallica nothing else matters) and some bass (very basic though no pun intended/am very much a beginner on the instrument/tbh as guitar lol).

i would be more than happy to just play simple stuff and back up band if required (certainly don't want to be frontperson lol)

thanks for reading this rubbish.   
    Stop putting obstacles in your way, stop self sabotaging, stop putting yourself down. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2770
    Go for it and enjoy and try not to get stressed by the whole things - it’s about having fun after all

my biggest lesson - don’t plan to play in public your favourite songs - those are almost always your favourite because they are complex and tricky it runs out.  You keep those for light hearted practice sessions.  You need to find 3 or 4 classic but easy songs to start with. Eg Dakota  
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    Plus 1 for church music groups. When I moved to Crawley from Manchester I didn't know anybody and going to church was a good way of getting to know people. Worship music isn't too challenging and generally quite derivative of pop music. The late Jim Pitts (Terry and the Dactyles) used to run a 12 bar jam night in Crawley which helped me get to know loads of people, it was a bit cacophonous but great fun. 

One other thing - the only person who never makes a mistake never does anything.
    Don't touch that dial.