Taylor warranty and neck resets?

What's Hot
I’ve been meaning to take my GS Mini to a tech to sort out the high action for a while. I bought it a couple of years ago and after a short honeymoon period I measured the action and compared it to a couple of other acoustics I have… it was around 3.5mm! As an interim measure I took a spare Tusq saddle I had lying around and sanded it down (keeping the original untouched). This improved things, although it’s still a little high and the break angle is just this side of acceptable - so the neck really needs to be sorted by replacing with the correct shims in the neck pocket for the original saddle.

When doing research into this I find that as it’s a relatively easy adjustment for a qualified tech, Taylor will apparently pay the tech to do it under warranty. Just wondering if anybody has had this done under warranty? I registered the guitar with Taylor and the tech is listed on their website.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    In general conversation (online and offline) I have never heard of a Taylor actually needing a neck reset. I imagine that this is because the procedure is so cheap and easy that people tend not to bother mentioning it. (And also no doubt because of Taylor's excellent quality control.) 

No idea how you go about claiming it through Taylor, but if the worst comes to the worst it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9621
    edited February 2023
    The necks come off with 2 or 3 bolts, and correcting the neck angle by choosing from a standard set of shims is Taylor’s preferred method of lowering (or raising) the action, they advise against shaving the saddle down.

I don’t want to give the tech a call and sound like I’m trying to get out of paying him for doing the job! On the other hand, I shouldn’t have to pay for work that is covered by a warranty, cost of living crisis and all that. I’ll probably try and book it in and then mention it just in case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @thermionic ; for the warranty to remain active (assuming it hasn't expired) any adjustments/repairs must be carried out by an Authorised Taylor Service Center.

I know of one but there must be others in the UK. 

:) 
    edited February 2023
    @Tannin ; doesn't it qualify for warranty work if the neck/saddle (whatever) is out of factory spec?* I'm not sure but I think so. Again, assuming the warranty is still active.

*assuming not  caused by the owner! 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mellish said:
    @Tannin ; doesn't it qualify for warranty work if the neck/saddle (whatever) is out of factory spec?* I'm not sure but I think so. Again, assuming the warranty is still active.

*assuming not  caused by the owner! 

the nut on my 614 was "bad"  - the top E too close to the fb edge,   I bought it at Sound Control and they fixed it "under warranty"    
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9621
    edited February 2023
    Yes that’s it @bertie - the action is so high it’s well out of factory spec, and the local tech is listed as authorised on Taylor’s website. He’s “silver” rather than “gold”, which I guess is only because he’s not a dealer/shop.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Yes that’s it @bertie - the action is so high it’s well out of factory spec, and the local tech is listed as authorised on Taylor’s website. He’s “silver” rather than “gold”, which I guess is only because he’s not a dealer/shop.
    this was  100 years ago,  before SC became PMT  -  they had an in house tech team/luthier,  whether they did it as "official" warranty or as "customer service"  warranty, no idea, but it was for free  -   the guy used to do work for other stores and set up his own place in Cardiff I think, his name was Eltham ? or something like that
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited February 2023
    @thermionic ; not sure of the silver/gold difference. It's no doubt best known to Taylor. 

Chris Andrews @CA Guitar works is gold. 

Edited as (on reflection) it was unfair.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Have a look at your humidity - it’s been very humid these past couple of years and that tends to cause the action to lift.  
    Be tempted to make sure it is well dehumidified for a few weeks and see if comes down..
    Taylor won’t do a warranty repair if they think it’s been in too humid an environment 
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    Just dropped off my new to me GS Mini for a neck reset as you could drive a bus under the strings at the 12th fret. Firstly tried Mansons as Taylor authorized, no response but probably to be expected as they're closing down. Contacted Taylor Netherlands but seems that the warranty isn't transferrable and only applies to the original owner. Found a local independent tech who's done several before and he's going to carry out the work for me using genuine Taylor shims together with a full check and set up.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Grampa ; let us know what you think when you get it back.

If still not happy, we can give tech recommendations. 

@Mellish Will do mate, thanks.
    @Mellish ;
    My GS Mini neck reset and set up....

Collecting on Saturday so fingers crossed  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2023
    @Grampa ; oh hope all turns out fine mate.

Any probs drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a guy I know is good. Saying that, should be fine - seems to know what he's doing in the video. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mellish said:
    @Grampa ; oh hope all turns out fine mate.

Any probs drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a guy I know is good. 

@Mellish ;Thank you kind sir, appreciated.
  • Yes i was a Gold level repair centre for Taylor Guitars when running my business. Im now working for PRS Guitars but can do the odd job on other brands.

I know its an older thread but let me know if you need any help.