Pink floyd the wall- pointers

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
I'm joining my mates band who are currently working on covering The Wall. 
Apart from the hits, I hadn't really heard any of it. 
I have a strat, compressor, big muff, blues driver and a couple of delay pedals.
I think im missing a flanger? Anything else? I don't want to spend a small fortune.
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Gilmourish website is down for updates but they had a whole bit on sounding like The Wall. Supposed to be back up,soon. The Facebook page is still going. 
    Five Watt World did a recent sound like Gilmour video but there must be hundreds of these things. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    The Gilmourish website is down for updates but they had a whole bit on sounding like The Wall. Supposed to be back up,soon. The Facebook page is still going. 
    Five Watt World did a recent sound like Gilmour video but there must be hundreds of these things. 
    Fair comment I'm just being lazy. I think I need a mooer electric mistress clone and that's probably it. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • There's a Chris Buck one on The Wall, his things are usually very detailed (and Les Paul innit?). Bunch of others too. I guess it's how far down the proverbial rabbit hole you want to go. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27114
    edited February 2023
    Yep a good EM clone will get you there nicely. And make sure you don't use the Muff without a good mid boost in front of it. 

But **far** more important than guitar tone is how you bend notes. Most folks get the gear close enough but then play the songs nothing like DG and then it sounds poo any way. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Personally I don't think you have to go slavishly for all the right tones and effects. It's a live performance, just play the songs with your regular gear and I'd say it will sound fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't forget you'll need a Nashville strung guitar for Hey You
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380
    axisus said:
    Personally I don't think you have to go slavishly for all the right tones and effects. It's a live performance, just play the songs with your regular gear and I'd say it will sound fine.
    yeah, if you listen to the versions of Wall tracks from Waters' In The Flesh Live record, they're doing their own thing with the guitar parts. it's more interesting than sticking too closely to the original.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424
    It depends on what you are aiming for really. If it's gonna be a tribute act capable of earning some good money then things like playing to click to stay in sync with the delay line and projected images, voices, sound effects etc is more important than getting the sounds spot on. 
    Getting the right feel and phrasing is certainly more important than what drive pedal you use. 

In short though a Strat into compressor, drive, phaser, chorus and delay into a Hot Rod or similar clean amp will work OK soundwise. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    Mooer eleclady for a bargain way into wall tones