Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Burt Bacharach

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    I saw him at the RFH with Joss Stone guesting in 2015.  It was an almost spiritual experience hearing all those songs live and being taken back to a much easier time.
    Forgot about that and seen many clips of this show - excellent performance by Joss and she looked mighty fine as well in that red dress

The other great collaboration show is with Ron Isley from 2009  - tI think I recall I tried to get tickets for that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72351
    Genius.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fabulous songwriter. R.I.P.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11704
    Wonderful, wonderful artist.  Some fantastic songs by which to remember him though and 94 ain't a bad innings.

RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    An endless supply of effortlessly cool melodies. First exposure was a single my mum had circa 1964 - You'll Never Get To Heaven, flip side A House Is Not A Home. Played them both innumerable times on the little portable player in our Kowloon flat. Another world away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw4NjJX108
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    edited February 2023
    Absolute genius arranger. Bit like Beck in a way, you hear four bars and you know it’s Burt, no question. Utterly unique orchestrator. The arrangement for Alfie is just to die for. RIP legend. 
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'll say a little prayer.

RIP Burt.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18772
    Unbelievable catalogue of fabulous tunes & arrangements over an unbelievable period of time. 
    I doubt that anyone over 15 wouldn't recognise at least one Bacharach/David tune, even if they wouldn't know who wrote it.
    RIP
  • No more Raindrops then, very sad that another composer has left us.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Unbelievable catalogue of fabulous tunes & arrangements over an unbelievable period of time. 
    Those songs are almost too good. Just perfect really
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Class act. Wonderful songwriter.

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head is one of the first songs I learned to play fingerstyle about eight years ago. I still play it several times a week.

RIP Burt. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A proper Musical Genius. What a sad loss.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    A wonderful songwriter, a genius of composition.
    The Carpenters - Close to you, is one of my favourites alongside Say a little prayer and The Look of Love.
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Absolute legend he was. 

My mate puts on Mostly Jazz Funk & Soul Festival, and in 2019, had booked Burt to play the penultimate slot before Khruangbin. Khruangbin pulled out on the day and my mate nervously called Burt's manager to ask if he'd be interested in playing for a little longer that night. She instantly said yes. He asked if she needed to check with Burt first (being 91 at the time). "Nope, he'll literally play all night if you'll let him" was the reply. 

He played for over two hours with bright eyes, a beaming smile and infectious energy. 

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390

We talk about the American Song Book with the likes of Berlin, Gershwin and Porter but Burt can certainly sit amongst such guys
    WIS'd - for me he's their successor.

RIP Burt

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" - I know there were other versions but I remember Bobbie Gentry's take best.

I don't know of another song with the word "pneumonia" in it!

RIP Mr B. and thanks for the music.

• What a sad sad loss; RIP Burt.

Truly one of my all time faves - I grew up with a couple of his cassettes my father used to play in the car, and have loved him ever since.

Three great memories - 

I worked in a London record shop in the eighties, and when it as my turn to play something, I put on the ‘A Portrait in Music’ LP. A senior manager then came over, took it off and said ‘we don’t play crap like that here’ !! I don’t think Burt had been rediscovered yet…

On our second date, me and Mrs001 went back to her flat. She hardly had any music aside from an old Burt and Dionne tape - love blossomed…

Four months later we were in Vegas scouting the wedding chapels. We walked into the Silver Bell, liked it and asked who famous had got married there - ‘Burt Bacharach and Angie Dickinson’ came the reply. We tied the knot the next day…

There have been many significant deaths of late. But Burt - this has really saddened me.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589

So many great memories that will leave with us forever - Thanks so much for helping to write some of my most favourite songs - So many to choose from but if I picked one it would be raindrops keep falling on my head - RIP Burt Bacharach
    We’ve learned Raindrops as a tribute for the couple of gigs we have this month. A real treat.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    GoFish said:

RIP Burt.

Burt’s finest hour for me too. It helps that Aretha delivers it perfectly but it’s a fantastic song in the first place. 

RIP. 
  • What a shame, didn't he leave Angie dickinson for Carol Bayer sagar, never understood that one.