Simple question, should I get...

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
...a Rickenbacker 4003?

I love my Fender MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, Dingwall NG2 5 and Fretless Bass Collection, but I've never scratched the Ricky itch.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    Yes, of course.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    A simple question deserves a simple answer 

Yes!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. They’re cool AF. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited February 2023
    No. Get a 4001.

JCA2550 said:
    I love my Fender MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
    Have you tried it through a Tech21 GLP-1 rack or YYZ Shape Shifter pedal? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    No. Get a 4001.
    Well, I have to admit that I traded my 4003 for a 4001, and the 4001 is better in every way - while being almost identical in most - but in general they're much more expensive, and a 4003 is probably 95% as good.

4001s vary too - mine is a 'player grade' example (changed pickups and electrics, refretted with stripped fingerboard), and a friend just bought a 'collector grade' one of the same year... it's very nice, but I still prefer mine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Our bassist has always used his Geddy Lee Jazz, but recently got (I think) a 4001 in satin black, and it sounds - and looks - amazing.

So that's a yes from me.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    I never played on but, IMHO, you can get almost any sound you want from a good Precision....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I really wanted a Rickebacker bass back in the day as I adored Geddy Lee and Chris Squire. They were too expensive for me! Iconic prog rock instruments though.
    RIC 4000 series bass guitars provide three distinctive things.
    1) Look
    2) Sound
    3) The ride

Up to a point, the look can be had from a copy. 

The sound can be suggested by careful application of compression, distortion and EQ filtering. 

The ride is like nothing else. 

This year, I have been mostly procrastinating about whether to buy one of the Tech21 Geddy Lee signature pre-amp products. Cribbing heavily from downloaded manuals, I decided to attempt to replicate the sound using Logic Pro amp and effect plug-ins. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    I never played on but, IMHO, you can get almost any sound you want from a good Precision....
    That’s true, and with a bit of EQ it will get quite close to the sound of the Rick ‘treble’ pickup - the most distinctive one - but it’s still not the same. If you want the real Rick sound you need a real Rick.

At one point I found a cheap P Bass copy which sounded more ‘Ricky’ than usual (less good as a classic P Bass, really) and I did briefly think about buying it, but... nah. The Rick still sounded better, and more importantly it physically fits me like no other bass, it’s just perfect for me. It also looks better.

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited February 2023
    So, an original 4001 could be harder and more expensive to find, but of the 4003 models around what's the preferred choice, with binding or not?
    JCA2550 said:
    So, an original 4001 could be harder and more expensive to find, but of the 4003 models around what's the preferred choice, with binding or not?
    It’s really just a cosmetic thing - unless you’re one of the very rare people who use the ‘stereo’ outputs, which the 4003S (no binding) doesn’t have. The S models are much rarer and probably sell for at least as much, because if you’re going for a McCartney or Squire look, it’s the right version.

edited February 2023
    The S models, lacking binding, have a lightly radiused edge to the front of the body across which a forearm can be comfortably rested. Good news for players who sling their instruments low!
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Oops, bit the bullet and I have a Mapleglo 2021 4003s on the way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom