Vocal

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DaveJames said:
    DaveJames said:
    Please don't be insulted, as I'm not trying to be flippant at all here, but is 'practice' not working? If you've been practising enough and you're still miles off, then maybe singing is not for you. I know that sometimes we don't have the luxury of going out and finding someone good to sing things for us, but if the songs are your own and you can sing them pretty well, then work on your own voice and try and avoid these toys, unless you're planning to use them for specific effects, à la Cher et al
    I used to have a voice, but at sixty years of age and shouting at the wife, it has dwindled, like MCcartney, also the falsetto has gone.
    Well Sir Paul has used it, apparently, so i guess you should be allowed to too
    Thank you sir.

My phone kept cutting off the end of my message and there was a smiley at the end of it, but I think you get the spirit if it :-)

Are you using software to edit your vocals, or are you doing it direct in your Tascam?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree that autotune is a tool and has it's place, but I never use it. Just think how many classic albums made in pre DAW times don't have autotune perfect vocals but still sound great. Imperfections give character and feel.

A classic example is Sheryl Crow's If It Makes You Happy where she goes noticeably flat in the word happy before it gets to pitch - if you autotuned it to perfection then you'd remove the soul from the track

I'd rather record my best takes, punching in if needed, and accept the odd imperfection here and there as long as it's not painful. If it's not right then it needs redone until it's naturally right. But everything else goes as far as vocal processing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom