PAT testing

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8723
What’s everyone doing? In the past, before Covid, we used a local electrician at mates rates. We need to restart, and I’m tempted to get a test device and do it myself. 

I’ve heard that some venues who are new to the game don’t understand the legislation, and are insisting on unnecessary paperwork. What’s your experience?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10423
    I do all our gear plus the gear for various other bands. I use a Fluke tester and use stickers and also email them a spreadsheet listing the date, the  item, the test results and pass / fail

It's all a lot of bollocks really. There isn't actually a law that says anything has to be PAT tested but it's recommended as it may help defend your position should something go wrong. There's no legal requirement to do it every year or even keep a record and plaster things with PAT stickers .. but again it's advised should something go wrong. 

So I play the game as any band who does wedding venues and corporate functions has to generally mail in the PAT and PLI before the gig. 

It's just an external visual thing and a basic wiring thing really. A PAT tester can't tell you something will stay safe even when it passes and a battery PAT tester may well pass an item who's chassis earth is hanging on by a thread. Some of the bigger units can damage devices in the insulation test as they can put out over 1KV

So be a competent person, inspect it visually, run the test, keep a record and sticker the gear up and that will generally be enough to keep everyone happy. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • If you can judge yourself as a competent person, or more importantly have the insurance to back it up, then buying a PAT test machine, working out what your doing and why, and keeping records of everything you test is the cheapest and easiest way of doing it.

As Danny says the PAT thing is mostly bollocks but as you say a lot of venues say no green sticker no gig.

It is a good thing that you inspect your gear at least once properly every year, and also have an idea of what PAT is all about. The reason is if you get someone to do it for you, then you’ll know when he’s ripping you off testing stuff which doesn’t need testing.  For example your pedal board, the pedals don’t fall under PAT however the power supply does.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • I’m a Pat tester and get sick of venues not having a clue what it actually means. It’s good practice to test and record. Nothing else, yet venues ask for certificates.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    It is the testers view or opinion as to what actual test should be applied to any device. Anything brand new is deemed exempt because it can’t be sold unless up to snuff. Competent person is the key phrase. We’ve had on venue question everything including the PAT “certificate” and schedules and PL insurance. A site meeting resolved the issue but sometimes committees or jobsworths become a pain. Council owned union staffed venues have a reputation but they are not the only ones. There is one local venue here that upsets bands and patrons to the point that they will eventually run out of custom, bloody minded committees mean we’ll but don’t understand.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Visual inspection is a key part of PAT.

The last gig I did where PAT was requested was at a posh hotel in West London.

I plugged something into a 6 way wall socket in the venue and the whole unit fell out from the wall!

The then plugged into a 4 way wall socket on was told only 2 of the sockeks worked correctly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    Danny1969 said:
    I do all our gear plus the gear for various other bands. I use a Fluke tester and use stickers and also email them a spreadsheet listing the date, the  item, the test results and pass / fail

It's all a lot of bollocks really. There isn't actually a law that says anything has to be PAT tested but it's recommended as it may help defend your position should something go wrong. There's no legal requirement to do it every year or even keep a record and plaster things with PAT stickers .. but again it's advised should something go wrong. 

So I play the game as any band who does wedding venues and corporate functions has to generally mail in the PAT and PLI before the gig. 

It's just an external visual thing and a basic wiring thing really. A PAT tester can't tell you something will stay safe even when it passes and a battery PAT tester may well pass an item who's chassis earth is hanging on by a thread. Some of the bigger units can damage devices in the insulation test as they can put out over 1KV

So be a competent person, inspect it visually, run the test, keep a record and sticker the gear up and that will generally be enough to keep everyone happy. 
    Spot on advice. I was Seaward trained & accredited years ago but the majority of testing ,stickering, paperwork & recording was all about an employers arse covering requirements & attitude to risk aversion.

• I do all the PAT testing for our band.  I bought a Seaward tester for my company, and it comes with a link to an online course where you watch a Video, do a little test and then you can print yourself a certificate to say you're a copmpetent person.  That basically enables you to do PAT testing of your own stuff, but if you did want to do it for other people it'd be best to get City & Guilds training.

As many people have said, there's no legal requirement to PAT test, and not really any such thing as a PAT test certificate, but you are legally responsible for making sure your gear is safe, and PAT testing is a goes a long way towards that.