Getting rid of large spikes in live recordings

What's Hot
I've started recording a few gigs from the audience, using a Shure MV88 mic plugged directly into my iPhone, using the Shure MOTIV audio app.

It works very well, and I'm really pleased with the sound quality (once I've post-processed it in Logic!).

However, there are a few overload spikes over the course of the gig, mostly from nearby audience members clapping too loud on top of the microphone.

What's the easiest/best way to reduce these? Can I somehow edit the waveform and just reduce the max amplitude? They're only very short sections, and in the middle of crowd noise, so I don't need to be too precious about it, but I'd like to keep things as invisible as possible.

This is what it looks like in Logic - you can see the obvious spikes:

R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A limiter or you could go through it all automating level/compression?

I'm no expert just seem obvious, someone will come along with a better solution I'm sure. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3683
    edited February 2023
    Yep…. You can zoom right in, select the spike waveforms and then just reduce the amplitude just of that section.  Try it on a copy.  I do that for things like claps.

We generally do all our band recordings through the desks with mics on amps and kick and drum overheads to avoid room and audio effects.. we just mix in some ambient.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A clipper might work here as it won't force down any if the rest of the audio.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I’ve done this many times to get rid of the worst pops of vinyl records. Zoom in as close as possible and redraw the spike to be in line with what’s on either side.
  • Thanks all - I've discovered the Logic Audio File Editor - it does just what I need (zooming in and re-drawing the spikes).

We generally do all our band recordings through the desks with mics on amps and kick and drum overheads to avoid room and audio effects.. we just mix in some ambient.  
    To be clear, these are me recording other bands I've paid to go and see. When I record my own band, I record 24 tracks of audio direct into Logic! Good idea to mix in some ambient as well - I shall consider putting up an ambient mic or stereo pair.

Cheers,

R.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    edited February 2023
    Izotope RX- declick.

It is MAAAAGIC.
    If you need me to run them through it I am happy to- just message me.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Thanks all - I've discovered the Logic Audio File Editor - it does just what I need (zooming in and re-drawing the spikes).
    That is the old school way of doing it.
    I haven't done it in about 5 years I reckon.