Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are there UK builders making “barncasters”?

What's Hot

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    axisus said:
    Does my build count as a Barncaster?

Actually my current build is a real Barncaster, but it's going real slow until the weather improves.

Wasnt Mateus Rose that cheap plonk we all drank in the 60's in the odd bottle that we all stuck a candle in after emptying?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22954
    edited February 2023
    rossi said:
    Wasnt Mateus Rose that cheap plonk we all drank in the 60's in the odd bottle that we all stuck a candle in after emptying?
    When you say "we all"... the average age of this forum is pretty high, I'm personally as old as fuck but crikey, I certainly wasn't drinking wine in the 1960s.   I was six in 1970.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    rossi said:
    axisus said:

Actually my current build is a real Barncaster, but it's going real slow until the weather improves.

My mum and dad were still drinking it in the 80’s. 

I think it was the first bottle of wine I ever ordered in a restaurant as it was the only name I recognised. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11818
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:

That is fantastic.  How did you acquire the Mateus Rose cask?
    By drinking the contents first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes I liked that too.  A Cabronita with a Firebird pickup yanks my chain.  Shame I don't need one :-(
    Philly_Q said:
    rossi said:
    When you say "we all"... the average age of this forum is pretty high, I'm personally as old as fuck but crikey, I certainly wasn't drinking wine in the 1960s.   I was six in 1970.
    Mateus Rose is one of those drinks that tastes fab served extremely cold in 40 degree heat in its country of origin.

As soon as you get back home and try to recreate your holiday vibe, it immediately tastes like piss.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    edited February 2023
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    rossi said:
    Mateus Rose is one of those drinks that tastes fab served extremely cold in 40 degree heat in its country of origin.

As soon as you get back home and try to recreate your holiday vibe, it immediately tastes like piss.
    It likely doesn’t benefit from an 18-hour car journey back in near 40 degrees heat either.

”This retails for near 40 quid a bottle back home, the holiday has paid for itself …”
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    I made this ages ago, but never did get it finished, so  ended up selling it here. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    I have a mental image now of a farmer getting to his barn one morning to find a cartoon-style telecaster-shaped hole in the wall.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigAl100BigAl100 Frets: 100
    I like the old wood look, with/out old print. I must admit, as with all things, it's sometimes done right and sometimes wrong .... But when it is done well, they have a really unique vibe. 

The "Mateus Rose" Tele looks awesome, as does the KD custom. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Philly_Q said:

That is fantastic.  How did you acquire the Mateus Rose cask?
    My wonderful Uncle Brian, who sadly died over 25 years ago ran an off license and had loads of these. I kept about 10 for storage but most were ruined in our wet leaky garage. I may have 2 left so you never know I may have a go at a couple more some day!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited February 2023
    Did our poopot not have something like this too.

I always wondered how you get an old cask (or whatever) smooth enough without rubbing the writing off? 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader

I always wondered how you get an old cask (or whatever) smooth enough without rubbing the writing off? 
    The writing is a stencil and poopots was made in my workshop.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Did our poopot not have something like this too.

The writing is a stencil and poopots was made in my workshop.

Ah, cool, ta? 

RIP Mr pot. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339

In the case of my guitar the text was 'branded' on with hot metal, which is an extra level of coolness (in my opinion!)
  • Fylde make acoustics from old whisky casks.
  • kennyabiskennyabis Frets: 102
    edited February 2023
    https://www.facebook.com/JFKGuitars/photos/a.108956310640437/176529540549780/?type=3&av=100000178253920&eav=AfaKMlzG5r1rtl-fzWaxVHk84PDlg1P_CoOvZezv0n35G67K4dx1RCWvxHLDKE8KRbU

Had this one in a while back made from an old whiskey barrel from the bushmills distillery

*edit - how do you actually get pictures to embed on here, everytime i try the picture appears for a millisecond then vanishes... 

• On the Mac (your computer may be different, but the procedure is the same): Right-click on the image, select Copy Image Address from the pop-up menu, then paste it into the box that comes up when you click the document icon above the text box here.  The important thing is that you need the absolute address of the image - exactly where it is on the internet. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very fine-looking thing, by the way. 
  • Cheers and cheers again.