NBD Ric content

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
edited February 2023 in Bass

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Send it back. There's a fingerboard inlay missing! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    They always miss out the 19th fret one :).

Very nice! I'm not normally a fan of the black plastics, but it really suits that one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s lush!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    ICBM said:
    They always miss out the 19th fret one :).

Very nice! I'm not normally a fan of the black plastics, but it really suits that one.

I once thought of having an end-plate on the fretboard to make that last fret.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    The best basses money can buy!
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited February 2023
    It also came with the white pickguard and (plastic) chrome pickup cover  so I might see which I prefer when I restring and set it up?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    JCA2550 said:
    It also came with the white pickguard and (plastic) chrome pickup cover  so I might see which I prefer when I restring and set it up?
    I recently swapped out the pickup cover for the pickup surround you have there, with the thumb recess. I would never swap back!
    JCA2550 said:
    The cover will probably get right in your way. I took it off my 4003 for exactly that reason - but oddly, when I swapped it for my 4001, which has the neck pickup closer to the fingerboard, the cover is just in the right place to rest my hand on for punky pick-thrashing… which is mostly what I do with it :).

I think the white plate will look odd with the black truss rod cover.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2023
    ICBM said:
    I think the white plate will look odd with the black truss rod cover.
    Curses! ICBM beat me to it again!

IMO, the best place for black TRC and PG is on a black RIC. Like Jim Smith of Cardiacs.

Finally, is that a revised bridge/tailpiece assembly I see? 
  • I think I still want a Ric. I considered one when I went for my P but decided it was too esoteric to be my only instrument - and the one I'd properly learn on. But now I'm reasonably capable I'd be keen to have a couple of "other" basses. Ric, Jazz, something hollow & thumpy...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I think I still want a Ric. I considered one when I went for my P but decided it was too esoteric to be my only instrument - and the one I'd properly learn on. But now I'm reasonably capable I'd be keen to have a couple of "other" basses. Ric, Jazz, something hollow & thumpy...
    A Decent Jazz Bass is a beatiful thing to play, so is a 5 string fretless, Dingwall etc.....
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Finally, is that a revised bridge/tailpiece assembly I see? 
    https://www.rickysounds.co.uk/product/rickenbacker-4003v2-tailpiece/
    I think I still want a Ric. I considered one when I went for my P but decided it was too esoteric to be my only instrument - and the one I'd properly learn on.
    You would probably be surprised - they're more normal than you might think. The 'treble' pickup is actually quite like a P, as long as it doesn't have the vintage-style bass-cut cap on it. Modern RIC wiring has a pull-switch to engage or bypass it. I've modded the tone control on mine to do so progressively, which is much more useful in my opinion - the best sounds are in the middle. The neck pickup is very deep and smooth, ideal for McCartney-like melody playing.

They also play effortlessly, and the apparently odd body shape is supremely comfortable either sitting or standing.

• Yeah - thing is when they’ve been played by so many different folks (McCartney, Squire, Geddy Lee, Lenny, countless indie folks, etc) there’s no reason to believe it’s not a versatile instrument. And they’re super-cool, which never hurts
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • That’s lush!!!!
    It most certainly is
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    mart said:
    JCA2550 said:
    I recently swapped out the pickup cover for the pickup surround you have there, with the thumb recess. I would never swap back!
    I also have the Rickysounds pickup surround with the thumb recess but in black. IMO, the recess is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle. OTOH, the surround blocks the air gap around the pickup, minimising the chances of accidentally damaging its coils.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Did you get a white truss rod cover too?
    Schnozz said:
    Did you get a white truss rod cover too?
    That's better (?)...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks great either way!

Getting a second truss rod cover is very surprising - they're worth a fortune on their own, especially the black ones which are much rarer and less commonly faked. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom