All the gear? Now get an idea

What's Hot
Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
edited February 2023 in FX
Most of the threads are about buying stuff. So for variety, here's one about using stuff.

Like Viz Top Tips, but probably not as funny.

What are your recipes for sounds? 

A couple for bass players as a start:

Octave down blended with the dry signal can make the instrument sound massive when playing in mid registers (obviously it doesn't do so much for your bottom E, because there's not much further down to go)

Octave up can create a useful synthy solo sound

Chorus used to be a cheesy 90s fusion solo sound, but done slow and subtle, it's the secret sauce in the bass sound for Sledgehammer. Phase also works for this 

EQ after distortion to re-emphasise the bottom end. This is often a better result than blending in a clean signal

On the other hand, clean blend works really well with compression on bass. Solid and dynamic at the same time 

If you play bass solos, recording a verse or two into a looper means you are not the only sucker in the band having to solo without the support of a baseline.  This assumes your drummer can keep time with the looper 

Right, now it's your turn.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good shout!

Boost or compressor into a volume pedal then into a medium-length analogue delay followed by a longer digital delay is great for ambient swells. I've used this for pad-type sounds in loads of bands. Set the feedback on the delays moderately high without self-oscillation, and it works best when the delay times aren't immediate multiples of each other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    edited February 2023
    103 views and just one idea.

Are musos more shy than they used to be?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1428
    Compressors with hollowbodies tend to give feedback..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    Tame shrill Strat bridge pick up by kicking in a tube screamer with the turned fully anti clockwise.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6841

Ok, I’ll bite.  “If you play bass solos”….don’t! ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • New strings, straight into a good amp. Works every time
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4542
    A light od after a filtered delay gives you great control over the delays eq
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    Try a fuzz into an envelope filter. Go on, try it! Fuzz into a range of other effects produces interesting, sometimes discernable sounds.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Super Fuzz style fuzz into a regular block logo Phase 90. Absolutely glorious
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Putting a Boss metal zone straight into the FX loop is less bad than putting a Boss metal zone into the front of your amp
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    edited February 2023
    Slightly more specific, but here's a couple of videos I thought would be the start of a series, but, y'know, life gets in the way etc

• Save money on expensive reverb pedals by only ever playing in a big church, aeroplane hangar, or in the whispering gallery at St Paul's.

Likewise, save money on expensive delay pedals by simply learning to play everything twice in quick succession
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    EQ pedals can be the best clean boost pedal out there.

A Marshall amp is the best MIAB you can get. I was on an endless MIAB hunt til I decided to stop messing about and get the real thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    EQ pedals can be the best clean boost pedal out there.

Absolutely.

Also an EQ pedal at the front of the chain is a great way of cleaning up your overdriven amp into a crunch tone without having to worry about your guitars volume knob.

And an EQ pedal in the FX loop with a mid boost and high/low cut is an ideal instant lead tone.

And an EQ can even give a passable cab sim for into the PA.

EQ pedals are great. I could live with a pedal board of just EQs (and a delay.- shame you can't do that with an EQ)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 103 views and just one idea.

So smart, what on earth did we do before you joined? :)

Re bass, I like an analog octaver (Foxrox octron) with the dry signal off, then play an octave higher for fat synthy vibes.

A slow phase 45 is a good substitute for chorus. 
  • Putting a Boss metal zone straight into the bin is less bad than putting a Boss metal zone into the front of your amp
    Fixed that for ya!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2640
    Likewise, save money on expensive delay pedals by simply learning to play everything twice in quick succession
    Or get one or more friends to play exactly the same thing as you but just afterwards. You can also use clones for this, or versions of yourself who have wandered through a portal from a parallel universe. 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    edited March 2023
    Or get one or more friends to play exactly the same thing as you but just afterwards. You can also use clones for this, or versions of yourself who have wandered through a portal from a parallel universe. 

I wasn't aware of him prior to this I don't think, but this is excellent.
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    mrkb said:

Ok, I’ll bite.  “If you play bass solos”….don’t! ;)
    Drums stop bad - drums stop...................bass solo
    Don't touch that dial.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26614
    edited March 2023
    For recording high-gain stuff...consider what you're playing when setting the gain levels.

For chunky muted rhythm stuff...start with low gain, and keep raising it bit-by-bit until you get the right level of chonk.

For squealy pinched harmonics...start with low gain, and keep raising it bit-by-bit until you get the right level of squealies.

For smooth lead tones...start with low gain, and keep raising it bit-by-bit until you get the right level of Vai that sustains just enough for the longest note in the part you're playing.

You may notice a pattern.

It's slightly different for live work, because of the interaction between the speaker and the strings. Ergo...only start setting the gain when you've got the volume at actual gig level. And, as you turn the gain up, turn the bass EQ down.

This is all basic stuff which everyone should know, but it kills me how many folk I see at gigs doing it ass-backwards, setting their gain before they turn it up and then completely disappearing in the mix.

Bonus tip: if you have two guitarists, one of them should use a subtle chorus on their high-gain rhythm sound. It instantly differentiates the two in the mix without having to faff with EQ, even if you keep it so subtle as to be nearly unnoticeable.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom