Betty Boothroyd

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 11711
A legend.  RIP Betty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    I must admit she falls into the "I thought she must have died years ago" category for me, but RIP.

Speaking of that category, and the world of politics, I see Bernard Ingham died a few days ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I never knew that there was such a thing as a Speaker before Betty. She seemed formidable! A woman in charge in the best sense of the word.

I have no idea who the speaker is now ....
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11711
    edited February 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    I must admit she falls into the "I thought she must have died years ago" category for me, but RIP.

Speaking of that category, and the world of politics, I see Bernard Ingham died a few days ago.
    Ah I missed that.  I stood next to him on a Clapham Junction platform many years ago.  He looked like a pitbull licking piss off a stinging nettle.
  • I don’t know enough about Betty to really add anything although she was synonymous with West Bromwich for many years and maybe helped raise the profile of her adopted town. 
    And I’ve now got She Said She Was a Dancer by Jethro Tull in my head, that early part of her career always seemed a stark contrast to the serious person she became. RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_Q said:

He'll be burning with his old boss. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    axisus said:
    I never knew that there was such a thing as a Speaker before Betty. She seemed formidable! A woman in charge in the best sense of the word.

I have no idea who the speaker is now ....
    Sir Lindsay Hoyle?  I think you'd recognise him if you saw (or heard) him.

The first one I remember is George Thomas.  I think there were allegations about him after his death...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18777
    Fine woman & MP.  Pugnacious with principles & attitude. RIP.