X-Air to QU16 - Worthwhile?

uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
Along with lead guitar duties I have been mixing FOH and all the wedges (no-one want IEMs) using an X-Air 18.  My normal setup is to have an iPad for sorting the soundcheck and minor tweaks during the sets, but I have always found that I need my MacBook on the network due to the user interface being generally 'better'.  

I have the chance (at a cost) of buying a QU16 and wondered if anyone could share their experiences.  We have 3 vocal mics, kick drum, bass via DI, my Kemper Stage and DIs from a Trace Elliot Acoustic amp and a Fender Mustang.  

Out front we have 2 DXR10s and a DXS12 whilst there are 3 wedges on stage.

FWIW, I never record or use MIDI although I am looking into the odd backing track for some piano 'needs'

First impressions are that the QU16 would simplify the on-stage duties and that i would use the iPad just for setting levels during soundcheck.  As I said, no-one is interested in IEMs or controlling their own monitor mix (they just shout across at me!).

We've never had a sound engineer and don't make enough to pay for one.  I quite fancy upgrading the DXR10s to some kind of RCFs or similar at some point but not for a year or two.

So, would I like the QU16? Is there anything I've missed?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    edited March 2023
    What app do you use with the XR18? Mixing Station is worth a look if you've been using the standard (and quite poor) Behringer apps. No experience with the QU16, but I've yet to hit the limits of the XR18 after 7 years - and I've done lots of big multi-band gigs with it too.

Get your bandmates onto the X-Air Q app and insist they sort their own mixes out. I've done this and after a few weeks it all works. The other 4 can fiddle as much as they like with their mix and not go near the FOH sound.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    PhilM said:
    What app do you use with the XR18? Mixing Station is worth a look if you've been using the standard (and quite poor) Behringer apps. No experience with the QU16, but I've yet to hit the limits of the XR18 after 7 years - and I've done lots of big multi-band gigs with it too.

Get your bandmates onto the X-Air Q app and insist they sort their own mixes out. I've done this and after a few weeks it all works. The other 4 can fiddle as much as they like with their mix and not go near the FOH sound.
    I'm using the standard Behringer apps.  Can't believe the difference between the Mac and iPad software..  If I go to Mixing Station, a) Are the laptop & tablet apps more similar and b) Can I import the snapshots already in the mixer?
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3134
    edited March 2023
    Qu user here though do do a few gigs on X32 both backed up with iPad, and the Allen and Heath is by a Country mile easior for me to use than the Behringer and this also applies to the iPad apps. 

Your main advantage of the QU assuming it’s not the sub is you’ll have physical knobs and buttons  to adjust and a nicer sounding set up, the Behringer get really harsh when pushed.

Nb fwiw the iPad apps from the manufacturers are free you have to pay for the mix station ones. How far into Devon are you? You’d be welcome to come up to Shepton to have a play on my QU
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    I went from XR18 to QU24 in my home studio, mainly for the extra channels (30 channel usb). Mixing station works well on pc and iPad and is hugely flexible in the screen setups. I have one with just drum mics and fx, one with drum bus monitor feed,etc. the extra monitor feeds are superb, but if you just want a sound quality increase and some real sliders I’m not sure if it would be worth the cost.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    We got the QU16 when it was first released in 2013 ish .... before the remote iPad  ap was even released. Still using that same desk, it's been faultless. The other 2 bands I play in also use QU16's and it's what my company 2020 specs for installs. We also have a QU24 and various AR2412 and 8 channel version digital stage boxes. 

I love the ME1 personal monitor mixers too, pricey compared to the Behringer version but worth it IMO

The QU series is a cut above the Behringer and a lot easier to use but I don't know if you would get anything out of it if you aren't running a load of stereo IEM feeds or mixing properly out front. For what you are using it for a basic analog mixer like a Mix Wizard would be fine and a lot cheaper. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thanks all.  Comments are pretty much as expected tbh.  Nice that a product launched 10 years ago is still held in high esteem.  I suppose my main 'desire' is to feel more 'in control' when we're actually playing - the way you do when you have a simple guitar amp like an AC15 or my Tweed Cornell. On either of those I can instinctively tweak a control, even between bars, and know what effect it will have.  With the XR, and my limited knowledge, the 3 measures of success are no feedback, singers who can hear themselves, and an acceptable sound out front.  I am slowly improving but having to use both the iPad and Mac makes for a cluttered setup which can be tricky to tweak on the fly. As @maltingsaudio said, the Behringer can sound harsh and I often feel there's a lack of 'sweetness' which I can't seem to dial in.  Thanks for the offer btw, I'm about 70 miles away so maybe one day :)

Secondhand values seem fairly stable so I suppose I could move it on if I don't think it's worth the investment.  If anyone's looking to shift one - or would hire one (South Devon) for a few weeks by all means send me a pm.

• PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    uncledick said:
    PhilM said:

I'm using the standard Behringer apps.  Can't believe the difference between the Mac and iPad software..  If I go to Mixing Station, a) Are the laptop & tablet apps more similar and b) Can I import the snapshots already in the mixer?
    You can edit the app layouts to be whatever you want them to be and will be the same across all platforms. The snapshots etc will continue to work as before with Mixing Station. There's a very active FB group - the guy who writes MS is in there too and is very helpful/responsive. https://www.facebook.com/groups/570631653401079  

I tried Mixing Station for a while and, although it's well written and 'does what it says on the tin', you need to be pretty competent to know how to set it up (and I'm not).   Fast forward 2 weeks and I picked up a QU16 on Marketplace and spent one evening at home - with no speakers and one wide-range mic - to check it out.  

Anyhow, last night was full band practice and to say I/we were blown away is an understatement.  Despite all my other 'toys' I have to say this is undoubtedly the best money I've ever invested in the band.  We just went on beyond our normal finish time to see how good some of our old songs could sound.

And someone already wants the X-Air - result :)

Thanks all for the advice.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    That’s good to hear.
    Its worth getting to grips with Mixing Station, it’s very powerful and can be setup to give great access for particular tasks. My “Drumming” page just has the things I need access to then sat at the drum kit (drum mics, one vocal mic and the mp3 aux in channel) - so it works well on iPhone screen up to full pc.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1