Mic Amp or IR loader

I'm doing a little bit if recording, mostly for practice analysis and messing about. I'm not bothered about plugins ( I use garageband for simplicity) but the line out from my attenuator has no cab simulation (or if it has its awful). I'm not sure I can get the amp loud enough to justify mic'ing it up (and I'd have to buy a mic) . So my question revolves around either something like the NUX Mini Studio or Mooer TresCab (or similar) or buying a Mic and going that way (bearing in mind I play at home and volume is a factor hence the attenuator.
 The Amp is a DSL20CR which has the softtube emulated out but thats not great either.
ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    If you can't get it loud enough to sound good with a mic it's a no brainer, isn't it? Just line out from your attenuator into a software IR plugin, unless by not bothered you mean you don't want to use them...
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 327
    Well im a suffer of option paralysis so thats why I was thinking of using something like the Mooer inline from the attenuator to the interface, its just got a dial with some options. Im not sure how loud it would need to be to make a mic a decent option really. Perhaps I should find a used tidy sm57 and give it a go, worst i'll do is sell it again if its not suitable.

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    If you decide to go without a mic then the Mooer Radar is a much better idea than the Trescab. The Radar has IR loading and using a good IR sounds miles better than the built in cab sims.

Yes, you can just record the preamp then load IRs in your DAW but I find it easier to record with the IR already in place
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    Based on what you've said, I honestly think you'll get the best results using a plugin.

The DSL20 is a great amp, but if you're needing to run a 20w with an attenuator to keep within your volume requirements then you're gonna struggle with a mic. 

An attenuator, with a cab sim/IR loader may well get you some very good results...but for the £120 or so a mooer radar will set you back, you could pick up some seriously professional sounding software with plenty of change. I have two Friedmans, a Vox, and a Fender Twin sat next to me and 90% of the practice and messing about I record is through a plugin. If it's primarily for your own benefit then the best cost:tone:simplicity ratio is definitely finding a plugin you like the sound of. 
  • There are amps and cabs sims in Garageband.  You can change them afterwards too. I use apple amps/cabs or cab IRa in Reaper all the time for our band recordings as the amp DIs are awful and we dont always mic the cabs,
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    The Helix plug in works very well and is always a good option for fuss free guitar recording 
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 327
    I need to get over the option problem, as soon as I see a list of amps, cabs and effects I just cant help buggering about with them all ( and I mean all) rather than concentrating on finding a single good one. Also I quite like the dsl20, I’ve got it set up how I like it so a cab ir is all I need. But I’ll give it a go and report back on how I get on
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited March 2023
    Use reaper and put the DSL recording on a track

Then add the included ReapVerb plugin.. and add a cab IR file 

If you limit yourself to handful, it removes the analysis paralysis.. i have a couple of Marshall and a couple of AC30 cab IRs.  Never found need for more than a couple.  Just the cab.. nothing else to fiddle with other than the wet/dry mix

I got free cab IR files from here..  https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/10/01/free-sample-shootout-6-best-free-guitar-cabinet-impulse-responses/

Makes a huge difference to crappy sounding DI from Orange and DSL amps.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I use a Two Notes Torpedo Capture on my DSL1 and the included cabinet IRs. It's fantastic.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    Boogez is free and has nice IRs