NBD -Ric

What's Hot
flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
So this arrived today a  2011 4003 ~ It’s currently wearing a set of GHS precision flats - it’s first time I’ve ever played a bass with these, and I’m liking them a lot! 
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Always my favourite looking bass
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    My favourite too - I always thought they looked the best since before I even played a musical instrument, so it was a happy accident to discover that they fit me better than any other bass. I do have other basses, but if I could have only one it would be my 4001.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    I have ALWAYS wanted one. Haven't played one in twenty years, probably best for my wallet if I don't. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Woah 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    I have ALWAYS wanted one. Haven't played one in twenty years, probably best for my wallet if I don't. 
    I haven't played one, for that reason!

That's awesome @flyingv ;

Nice seat, too!
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Dave_Mc said:
    I haven't played one, for that reason!

That's awesome @flyingv ;

Nice seat, too!
    Cheers Dave :+1: 
    So’ really liking the flatwounds on the guitar, but find the strings a little ‘sticky’ is this normal? They are a ‘newish’ set only recently put on - allegedly?  I’m going to perceiver for a bit, but have a set of new roto swing bass sitting on the subs bench ready :) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    flyingv said:
    So’ really liking the flatwounds on the guitar, but find the strings a little ‘sticky’ is this normal? They are a ‘newish’ set only recently put on - allegedly?  I’m going to perceiver for a bit, but have a set of new roto swing bass sitting on the subs bench ready :) 
    I don’t like Swing Bass any more - they’re not as good as the (oddly!) cheaper Roto Bass. Swing bass start off sounding really punchy but die quickly. Roto Bass are a bit softer to begin with but last ages. Although I switched to Newtones a while ago which are better, Rotos would be an acceptable substitute.

I think flats should feel smooth and not sticky, but not knowing what brand they are I can’t say for sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24293
    Flats often feel sticky when new because of manufacturing residue. Some worse than others.

La Bella Low Tension Flats are the worst for it.

I use EB Group vi flats on most of mine - they are brighter than most flats but don't have the excessive top end of rounds. 
    They lose their grippy-ness in about 10 mins of playing. I love them!
    Flats often feel sticky when new because of manufacturing residue. Some worse than others.

I use EB Group vi flats on most of mine - they are brighter than most flats but don't have the excessive top end of rounds. 
    Ahh’ so it is a thing? Hopefully the stickiness’ will pass then? I do like them! :+1: 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27028
    Smiliarly I have TIs Flats on my P which are known for being a little more "round" sounding than most flats. They're super smooth and I get compliments on tone - happy days! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24293
    flyingv said:

Ahh’ so it is a thing? Hopefully the stickiness’ will pass then? I do like them! :+1: 

You can help it along a bit by rubbing up and down the strings with something cotton. Old T-shirt will do. That's just abrasive enough to clean it up but without damaging the string.

Or you could go nuts and do the chicken grease / hand cream / engine oil approach that some of the old Motown guys did to make new strings sound like old ones!
  • Lovely looking bass, enjoy.
    Lovely looking bass, enjoy.
    Thank you :+1: 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Congrats- you now own the best bass money can buy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    Congrats- you now own the best bass money can buy!
    ;) :+1: