Latest piece (finished, -ish...)

What's Hot
VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
edited March 2023 in Making Music
Needs finishing off with an ending, bass guitar and probably that last solo redone, but almost there. First proper recording since having a child....a few lesson cancellations gave me the time! 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    Remarkable, jaw dropping playing as usual. Insane stuff :astonished: 

Now I'm feeling a bit shell shocked, so I think I'll go and lie down for a bit to recover.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    F***ing hell mate behave! Ha ha
    Absolutely brilliant as ever, utterly crackers. Can hear a lot of Buckethead in this one, mainly in the riffage, flavours of some of his darker wedges and I’m always going to enjoy that.
    Splendid work, splendid!
    edited March 2023
    I can't help feeling that this is a work of genius but it needs a person with really good producing/mixing skills to give you the recognition you deserve. Have you thought of sending your stuff to anyone that might be able to do that?

Edit: Deleted rest of post because I didn't read the text in the OP properly and thought I was commenting on more of a finished track

It's not a competition.
  • 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023
    Oops, just noticed in your original post that you say it needs bass. So that's why I can't hear it

So excited to hear stuff from you that I didn't read the text in your post properly, and was thinking it was more of a finished track. So you can ignore all that bollxxs I posted last night.

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Bezzer said:
    F***ing hell mate behave! Ha ha
    Absolutely brilliant as ever, utterly crackers. Can hear a lot of Buckethead in this one, mainly in the riffage, flavours of some of his darker wedges and I’m always going to enjoy that.
    Splendid work, splendid!
    Cheers Bezz, appreciate it :) Yeah it did kind of come out like that. I got some new pickups for one of my 7s which inspired the riffs and makes the guitar sound a lot more alive. 
    Oops, just noticed in your original post that you say it needs bass. So that's why I can't hear it

So excited to hear stuff from you that I didn't read the text in your post properly, and was thinking it was more of a finished track. So you can ignore all that bollxxs I posted last night.

no worries at all, and thanks also for the kind words in both posts! :) I actually thought you were right in your original words (I read it last night but then fell asleep before I could reply!). The drums are all EZDrummer, but some of the packs I use sound more 'robotic' than others. I also use loops made for a lower bpm (say 70-80) at a higher speed (this I think I kept at 120) just as they generally fit better with what I'm trying to do, but it can make the kick too clicky. Mix is a bit all over the place at the moment - generally been doing it when the wife has been working next door, so volume and getting a feel for it has been tricky. Also I can just never make my mind up, and I find mixing stuff well/EQing quite tricky. Bass always comes last unless I have an idea for it...which is rare, as I'm rubbish at it, so it's generally root notes  =)
    edited March 2023
    ...Bass always comes last unless I have an idea for it...which is rare, as I'm rubbish at it, so it's generally root notes 
    I can recommend EZ Bass and Modo Bass 2, even though I like to play real bass.

For my recent entry for the Cover challenge, I started by recording real bass. Then I used EZ Bass to convert it to midi, did a certain amount of quantization , then substituted Modo Bass 2 in place of EZ Bass.

EZ Bass is great, but I haven't got many bass packs for it, and Modo Bass 2 has more options.
    It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Wow

That's great. A full assault on the senses. Can't wait to hear the fully finished version
    Done two mixes. The first one I did I played in the car and the leads sounded way too loud despite sounded like they were sitting nicely in the mix through my monitors. Took them down but they sounded a bit too faint. Anyway, that's this one:

Then started messing around and stuck all the leads through some compression (not all the twiddly parts as some were more of the rhythm part): 

I think at this point I've been doing it too long and can't decide what sounds good and what doesn't....!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Must have missed this the first time around, amazing work! And you also have some filthy riffs in there, very impressive.
    IMC1980 said:
    Must have missed this the first time around, amazing work! And you also have some filthy riffs in there, very impressive.
    Thank-you very much! The riffs were actually what I was most pleased with; the widdly stuff is all well and good, but riff-wise I rarely come up with something I think is decent. I just tried not to over-complicate things this time and it seemed to work better. Thanks again :) 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4184
    Wow  that’s great ,  that bit around 2:56 reminds me of a lot of contemporary shred style & those almost vocal sounding bits were a treat too . Fantastic 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited March 2023
    Face meltingly good.... I dig the riff at 5:55
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom