Bill Tidy - Cartoonist

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
edited March 2023 in Tributes
Many's the chuckle raised back in the day when Punch magazine was going & also Private Eye.
He was very sharp too...
 RIP Bill.
Bill Tidy cartoons from Punch magazine  PUNCH Magazine Cartoon Archive

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Didn’t he used to turn up on the telly a bit, at one time..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11299
    I always liked his stuff in Punch, when it was a great magazine. 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    R.I.P. Mr. Tidy - I always turned to The Cloggies first in Private Eye. Hope Neville has got a round in at the bar when you've finished destroying the opposition team with a Triple Arkwright
  • scrumhalf said:
    I always liked his stuff in Punch, when it was a great magazine. 
    I used to love The Forsyth Saga, consistently brilliant
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    edited March 2023
    usedtobe said:
    Yes, there was a series called Quick on the Draw with guests like Bill Tidy and Willie Rushton.  That's the one I remember, anyway.

Sad news, and it also made me a little sad that his was a name I hadn't heard for many years... I guess many of the people who "used to be famous" when I was a kid have been retired for decades and perhaps have been frail and unwell for the last few years.  Gets us all in the end.

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    Philly_Q said:
    usedtobe said:
    Yes, there was a series called Quick on the Draw with guests like Bill Tidy and Willie Rushton.  That's the one I remember, anyway.

Sad news, and it also made me a little sad that his was a name I hadn't heard for many years... I guess many of the people who "used to be famous" when I was a kid have been retired for decades and perhaps have been frail and unwell for the last few years.  Gets us all in the end.

RIP
    Well remembered. Also on Countdown and Countryfile apparently, but that is outside my TV watching scope.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64932762
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Yep ... he was a point of difference on Countdown for sure because a (instant) picture speaks a thousand words.

I still watch Countdown (RR :love: ) but they ain't done had anyone else like BT. He was gifted beyond belief.

I've had nights out where there have been caricature artists and very good they have been ... but BT could tell stories too and that's a massive point of difference.

Sad to learn of his demise :-1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Philly_Q said:
    usedtobe said:

RIP
    I think that’s where I (mostly) remember him from, too.. appreciate the memory jog..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9628
    I think I remember him turning up on kids tv a lot around the early 80s - Swap Shop and things like that.