ACS ear plugs - which ones to get?

What's Hot
SupportactSupportact Frets: 960
Thinking about getting myself a set of those moulded ACS earplugs, but not sure which to get. Thinking of getting the Pro17 ones, but not sure if that will be too much attenuation. 

It'll be mostly for playing in a not too loud band in small venues and festivals. Acoustic (real) drums, electric guitar through an ac15, electric bass. It's usually not crazy loud but we played a pub gig recently where there were some very high levels and busts of feedback (due to incompetent sound person) which has made me want to get some plugs. I'd probably wear them to gigs as well if i get on with them. 

If anyone uses these already I'd be interested to know which ones you like. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    I had the Pro17s about a decade ago. That was with a very loud pub band where I’d stand directly in front of my amp and the bassist’s, and about 3 feet in front of the drummer’s main crash. 

I felt they took off just a fraction more than I’d like so, given my new band is a little quieter anyway, for new set I’m coincidentally ordering this week I’m going to try both the 10 & 15 filters. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been using the Pro 17's since 2013, played for 5 years in a band with a very loud hard hitting drummer so I need any type of protection I could get! I found they were great as they allowed me to hear all frequencies clearly, just a bit lower, and the high end of cymbals weren't thrashing away at my ears. I wear them at all rehearsals and gigs though I haven't played live since 2019 so hardly use them anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    The Pro17s are the flattest, but take alot of volume out. Ive ended up with pro10s for jams and gigs.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Capture8.JPG 94.5K
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    I'm getting my ears molded next week for some Pro17.

The little filters can be purchased separately so they can be swapped over as needed.

A drum teacher mate of mine wears Pro20 all day. Probably wise if he's exposed to that for 8 hours per day.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I use Pro 15’s with the band and for gigs. I wouldn’t play without using them.
    As @fretmeister says you can buy replacement filters which I understand are about £50 a pair. 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 960
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Based on those i think I'm going to give the pro15 version a go. Should probably have got some years ago. I have worn regular ear plugs in loud environments for the last few years, but i didn't for years before that. You get to a certain age and you realise you're not bullet proof! 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    ACS do something called the ambient, which is a hybrid earplug and/or monitor rather than one or the other. You can unplug the lead from them to just use them as earplugs and they have the little filter insert in them that you can change. I think the default is -17db but if that cuts out too much then you can get them to swap the filters for something less attenuating. I think the pro17s are about £150 and the ambients about £250. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

@Devil#20 thanks that's good to know. I don't think I'm going to go to in ear monitors for now due to the type of band/venues. I spoke to a guitarist in another band recently who has just got them though and he says it's the best thing he ever did, so you never know. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    @Devil#20 thanks that's good to know. I don't think I'm going to go to in ear monitors for now due to the type of band/venues. I spoke to a guitarist in another band recently who has just got them though and he says it's the best thing he ever did, so you never know. 
    Another thing. If you're in the Musician's Union and you join the Musician's Hearing Health scheme with a one off payment of £37.50 you get a set of earplugs worth £150 and a thorough hearing test that would normally cost you £200 and follow up tests every 2 years for £20 a pop. There's other benefits but you'd have to google them. Once you've had your lugs scanned then you can take that to ACS and get 15% off. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

I am in the MU so that's very interesting, I will check into it. Thanks @Devil#20 ;
  • Just coming back to this thread to report back. I ended up getting the Pro 15 version, and after a few rehearsals, gigs and festivals over the summer I think they're pretty good.

I'm glad I got the 15 not the 17 as I think those would have been too quiet. These ones are about right for my purposes, I think if you're in a loud rock band with a drummer maybe the 17s would be better.

They are quite comfortable and also fine for watching other bands. The only hard bit is because they block the ears your own voice can sound odd and it's hard to get used to. Other than that they work well. Thanks for your advice everyone! 

• Sorry I missed this...I've been using these for years and gradually collected PRO17, PRO20, and PRO26 filters.

I use PRO26 all the time these days. Pretty heavy attenuation but I'm used to it. I get them in asap before anyone starts making noise and they stay in until I'm loaded out at the end of the evening.

I also recommend ACS' 'sleep sound' plugs.

I've kept my old moulds with PRO20s in for DIY jobs ;)