Anyone know where to get these cables from? TRS to dual TS. Amazon search has failed me

What's Hot
Hi,

I'm looking for a pretty simple cable (I thought)

Male 6.35mm TRS to 2 x female 6.35mm TS with tip on one side and ring on the other.

I ordered a couple from Amazon, but they have the same connections on both sides so they just split the signal into two duplicates.

About 8 inches to a foot long would be ideal.

If necessary I could make one, but where is a good place to get the cables and connectors?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424

£5 from CPC order code AV18936  ...bit longer than you wanted though

It's often  called an insert cable
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry wrong one 

This one AV19793 maybe 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6160
    What he said. They tend to be quite long because they were mostly used for a mono send+return - connecting outboard equipment to old-fashioned mixers, and in a studio those cable runs could be several metres.

Today's drive to ever smaller gear means that they are increasingly needed for tightly packaged gear where the manufacturer just used a TSR instead of two separate outputs/inputs.

Mine are all >1m long.
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    Thank you.

I had a look and there is no wiring diagram/datasheet to show that it isn't like all of the others on amazon. I might order it anyway and see how I go. Or dithering about making my own - at least it will be exactly what I want.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    allen said:

I had a look and there is no wiring diagram/datasheet to show that it isn't like all of the others on amazon.

The fact that the two sockets are red and black strongly suggests that it's stereo to 2xmono (left/right)
    The cable I linked to has common earth  +V and -V phase on the 2 tips of the cable. How the cable operates depends on what you are using it for. 

If it is used on a balanced send then then both tips will have a signal but they will be 180d out of phase .. 

If used on a stereo headphone output then one tip will contain the left of the stereo signal and one the right .. again common ground. 

If used on an insert point then the tip is the send and the other the return ... the return is wired to the ring of the TRS plug .. again common ground
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thanks all. That's really helpful.

I've put a couple of those in my basket.

I now need to make a cable for my genelec monitors as I am going from unbalanced TS to an XLR.

Genelec say it is fine and give the connection specifications on their website and I'm fine with the soldering. I had a look at premade cables, but they don't seem to give the exact connection details so just as easy to make some up.

If I order it all in one I get free postage.

My problem now is which cable to get.

I want normal cable with 2 cores and shielded suitable for balanced connections. There seem to be hundreds of cables on the cpc site.

Can you direct me to what I need? or just tell me the specification I need to search for.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3683
    edited March 2023
    Edit..
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 406
    Award session?

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3046
    allen said:

I now need to make a cable for my genelec monitors as I am going from unbalanced TS to an XLR.

Genelec say it is fine and give the connection specifications on their website and I'm fine with the soldering. I had a look at premade cables, but they don't seem to give the exact connection details so just as easy to make some up.

I want normal cable with 2 cores and shielded suitable for balanced connections. There seem to be hundreds of cables on the cpc site.

Can you direct me to what I need? or just tell me the specification I need to search for.
    You need something like Van Damme XKE. Either https://cpc.farnell.com/van-damme/268-001c/vandamme-1-pair-black-100m/dp/CB04656 or https://cpc.farnell.com/van-damme/268-020c/vandamme-mic-cable-black-100m/dp/CB04650

I can sell you a length of the latter if you want. It's about £2.70/m.

R.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Speak to Custom Lynx. They are fantastic.
    allen said:

You need jack to male XLR 

Basically a lead like this shorts pin 3 of the XLR to ground which is how you convert balanced to unbalanced. 

The short one in the pic is order code AV18037 ... there's loads of longer ones, all audio cables in that section are shielded. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    You need jack to male XLR 

Basically a lead like this shorts pin 3 of the XLR to ground which is how you convert balanced to unbalanced. 

The short one in the pic is order code AV18037 ... there's loads of longer ones, all audio cables in that section are shielded. 

Thanks, I've just ordered a couple of those. Hopefully the wiring is right.

Postscript on the cables. They (finally) arrived today.

The multimeter says that the XLR cables are just right for what genelec say they should be. Installed and no hum or noise so that's pretty good - and plenty of signal.

The y cables are correctly wired as 2 separate mono cables into one trs stereo jack.

So it's a win all round. 

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!