Public Liability Insurance

colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
edited March 2023 in Live
Who has it, who are you with, how much does it cost?

I'm the drummer in a 4 piece blues rock band (The Levee Breaks on Facebook, if you're interested) and its looking like PLI is raising its head again.

Costs vary wildly - from £60 per band member per year to £45 a year to cover all 4 of us.

EDIT: Looked into MU and its more expensive than is worth us paying. We generally go out once a month on average, only really doing festivals as playing pubs has become a low-paid misery. We play in the North West/Wales and generally don't play large cities so instrument insurance, whilst nice, is not a priority.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 961
    If you join the Musicians Union you get some insurances free with the membership - might be worth looking into if you gig regularly. 
  • Not regularly enough to warrant £20 per month each - we generally only go out once a month on average.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10421
    I pay £25 a year for a basic 1M PLI 

Ripe insure4music 

Not a bad deal 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    My gear's insured with Allianz and includes PLI
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 118
    Mine came as part of the package with Musicguard instrument insurance, (£1m cover. When I gigged (retired now) it was a contractual requirement for some of the gigs I did not so whether it was 'worth it' did not come into it.

Also, given the number of times I had drunks swaying close to my speaker stands/cables  I'm bloody glad I did have cover as I know who would get sued if a speaker landed on their head.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9801
    Mine is about £50 (renews this week) and that includes PLI and instrument cover for my piano and amp, I do get asked for it quite frequently and it's nice to know I have it and that if my piano or amp got nicked I'd be alright. That's with Allianz, for about 20 performances per year.

Not sure if it's different for bands as this does state specifically one person performing
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Allianz seems to be coming out on top in my searches too.

Musicguard was very expensive when I looked; comparatively speaking
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Ours is £69 per annum for £10m PL for a 5 piece band through these guys, highly recommended - https://www.insurance4performingarts.co.uk/
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3683
    edited March 2023
    Yep.. I got it for a busy 5 piece.   £80 p/a with VAT with ReesAstley/Aviva…. Link above.

Good to have if you are doing wedding functions or fancy / fussy hotels.   

That said, we have never made a claim on it, so until we do, it is hard to say how great they really are.

MU are invested in musicians, so if you have the level of work, be worth it.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mrs Bert and band were with Musicguard  -  about £80 each pa,   all the gear  and £1m each PLI 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.