Best Capo

What's Hot
keithfkeithf Frets: 372

guys,I'm using a kaiser at the mo and find it pull the tuning sharp due to the massive tension it puts on the strings,

is there a better alternative that is easy to use?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like the simple Planet Waves one with the thumbwheel tensioner - no problems with tuning
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited September 2013
    keithf said:
    guys,I'm using a kaiser at the mo and find it pull the tuning sharp due to the massive tension it puts on the strings,
    Kyser? Place it right behind the fret to avoid sharpening the pitch.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    edited September 2013
    keithf said:

is there a better alternative that is easy to use?

Apologies in advance for insulting your intelligence, but...

You're not fitting it in the right place. It needs to go right along the back edge of the fret crown - not on the fret, and not with any gap between the fret and the capo rubber. That might sound overly fussy and difficult to do, but once you get the hang of it it becomes easy and you can do it quickly in one movement.

If you do that it doesn't pull the strings sharp - I use Kysers on all my guitars including a Rickenbacker 12-string... no tuning trouble ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 372

i've pretty much tried it everywhere with the same result,I'll give it another go tonight

taking onboard what you're saying.

cheers guys.

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Try a shubb - simple, cheapish and best IMHO
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Sold all my Shubbs.  They messed with the intonation something horrible.  Use G7th now.  Much better.
  • crunchman said:
    Sold all my Shubbs.  They messed with the intonation something horrible.  Use G7th now.  Much better.
    I'll refer you back to ICBM's post above - I don't see how any capo can mess with your intonation.

I don't use a capo too often but , when I do, I've got a Shubb .... because ..... er ....... I found one years ago and I still use it.
    +1 completely agree.  The only downside to a shubb is they can be too easy to loose.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    I find the Shubb fiddly and awkward. Needs two hands, needs re-adjusting for different necks or even the same neck at different positions if it tapers much. And is one of the few that did cause me some tuning trouble, because there's no give in the mechanism.

I didn't like the G7th either for the same reasons.

It's such a personal thing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yes, guess so.  The shubb needs two hands to put it on but come's off with one really easily and it's nice and light.  I used to play under the bridge in my band and because I could never quite play the intro without a capo I had to take it off during the song.  The shubb always did the trick.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

crunchman said:
    I'll refer you back to ICBM's post above - I don't see how any capo can mess with your intonation.

I don't use a capo too often but , when I do, I've got a Shubb .... because ..... er ....... I found one years ago and I still use it.

As I said above the Shubb definitely caused me tuning problems that the G7th doesn't.  It may be possible to use the adjustment screw to get it better, but if you use it on different guitars or at different positions on the neck, you'll forever be adjusting it to minimise tuning problems.  It just not practical live.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7812
    edited September 2013
    As I said on the acoustic capo thread, I use a G7th Newport capo, which is similar to a Shubb - I've got a G7th Performance but don't use it as I prefer the Newport.

I've got a couple of Kyser partial capos which I like too.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • tbmtbm Frets: 582
    edited September 2013
    The Planet Waves with the wheel is cool, I use that for my accoustic. Otherwise it's the Shubb for mr. You need to get used to it though, as it can need adjusting between movements up and down a neck. It's not one to get if you need to fo a quick change during a song.

I did lose the little black plastic yoke of a shubbmid gig there recently. Had to borrow another capo. Annoying. Have them all glued on now.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.