Show me your compact music computer desks (with keys if possible)

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
edited March 2023 in Studio & Recording
Hi all

Trying to find a way to combine my work desk and music kit, to include a keyboard if possible and I'm struggling to find something that's not too big, but is big enough to house what I need:

- monitor, laptop, typing keyboard and mouse for work
- 49 key music keyboard, monitor speakers, interface, then hxfx on the floor.

Will mostly be for work so mouse and typing keyboard need to be in a comfortable position

Looking for inspiration to see if I can piece something together using IKEA parts

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    I think that's smaller than my current one to be honest, not sure I'd want to spend that much on something and still need to modify it to hold a keyboard as well
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5371
    I spent a lot of time looking at these about 18 months ago, and couldn't find anything that didn't end up with the computer keyboard too low (for me), or was in some other way wrong, and too costly to want to compromise. 

I ended up going to a second hand office furniture place and getting a standard plain desk, mounting the screens on arms, and the audio monitors on separate stands behind the desk. The midi keyboard is propped against the wall other than when needed. 

It also doesn't do exactly what I wanted for that reason, but it was £100 and got me 95% there, instead of between £300 and £1500 and still being a comprise. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1301
    I made my own desk, but when I started working from home I got one of these - https://www.vari.com/uk/en/sit-stand-converter-varidesk-pro-plus-36/DC-PP36.html

They're really expensive new, but can be picked up for less that 100 quid used.  Being able to raise it and record/play guitar standing up with everything at the right level is brilliant.https://photos.app.goo.gl/yVLf9VujQiexCahGA

edited March 2023
    Thanks chaps for sharing, much appreciated. I think the keyboard/piano being at the respective wrong heights is really pointing to this being a non-starter isn't it?

The sit-stand thing in your photo Bod, doesn't really look to give me any advantages as I don't stand up, however the desk beneath looks closest to what I had in mind in terms of the piano tray. (EDIT - unless i kept the piano under the keyboard shelf, and kept it "down" as far as it will go for work, but then raise it to play the piano? I'm not sure if they lock in place or whether there'd be enough clearance, but I suppose in theory something like that could work, though the base legs are not far apart enough)

However, thinking about it logically, the typing keyboard and the piano keyboard need to be at the same height really don't they, to be comfortable to use either of them for any length of time? I was trying to see if i could hack something together with Ikea products and some tray runners but I;d worry about the strength of the tray for me using the piano on it.

Basically i don't get anywhere near enough practice time on my piano in the lounge as it disturbs the wife watching tv etc. So I hoped having my mini keyboard setup would give me more chance to do headphone practice as well as using it for recording and for writing out my sheet music arrangements perhaps as well. The wife won't let me get rid of my piano as it has sentimental/family value (and she's probably right), but unless I can find a way to house the mini keyboard on my work desk, basically to get a headphone practice setup I'd have to be in the garage. I don't have the design skills nor the imagination to create something innovative though by the looks of it!

I did wonder about having rails on top of the desk to roll the piano forwards but a) i'm not sure how they'd work "upside down" and b) they'd need some kind of brakes on them to stop it moving whilst playing I think.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    I have seen many of your threads re space in the past and at least from a distance and IMO you never find a solution as you're not being mentally flexible enough to accept change/compromise nor determined.

It's hard to help without knowing more or acknowledging (indulging) seemingly unimportant blocks you put in place to having what you want.

My personsl take is that mixing a work and play space sucks. 
    You're worried about space, is this OCD, actual lack of space or your wife or you not allowing you space you validly require (basically acknowledging your own creative needs).

Controller keyboards suck. I'd find a way to play your upright. If that means moving it to the garage (placing piano on the inside wall of course) and adding insulation and doing work there it'd be worth it.

You don't sound happy, time to make bigger changes than just a little desk?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    edited March 2023
    My thoughts based on my home-work desk are as follows. I don't have a piano keyboard on mine, but the key to a really great desk setup for me is a shelf at the back. 

I have my main screen sitting on a shelf about 4" above the main plane of the desk and the laptop itself on a slanted stand to the left with a USB hub underneath so it can be plugged/unplugged via just one cable. Then a wireless mouse & keyboard to keep everything super tidy.

That has a number of benefits - it gets both screens to the right height so I'm looking across to them and not down, it means I can also move the laptop around if & when I need to, and it frees up a bunch of space on the desk itself so I can fit a couple of computer keyboards plus a bunch of music gear (headphone stand, pedals and THR as a minimum). I'm not a big fan of trays underneath desktops as it screws up your ergonomics (or at least it does mine!)

In terms of logistics I'm now using stuff from Grovemade but before that I had hacked an Ikea shelf with some feet from one of their sofas iirc - something like this. I'm imagining you could put a mini keyboard on a big felt pad and slide that backwards toward the screen when you need to work (possibly even under the aforementioned shelf), then move your mouse & keyboard away and just pull the music keyboard towards you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WC-J2E6_5g
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Winny, no I'm never a happy individual (depression) but that's unrelated to this really, this is trying to find a way to make the average day less shit if anything. I think my perceived lack of flexibility is usually because I ask here as a (not quite) last resort having already gone over the logical suggestions that I can come up with or find on google.

My keyboard doesn't suck, it's a good one it's just smaller. I could practice on it no problem - in fact it sounds much nicer than the expensive one I use for weddings, that's why i'm trying to use it.

My space issues are literal not imaginary - I'm currently in a 3mx2m room which contains a wardrobe, two sets of drawers and my desk & chair. If our new house ever comes to pass, the room will be slightly bigger but will need to house 2x desks & chairs, probably one set of drawers, probably have to lose the wardrobe as it's a bit big really. It's not a case of flexibility, it's a case of the space not existing. Sadly not rich enough to be able to afford a normal sized house in Birmingham but am tied here due to wanting to have family near.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9538
    My current small space =)

Arturia Audifuse Studio
    Elektron Octatrack Mkii
    Macbook Pro M1
    OP1 Field
    Genelec 8030c

Elektron Syntakt in bound

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Who needs a desk! This is my entire amp/pedals/recording rig - will eventually settle into a space with a desk once we’ve done all the rooms, but the irony is that I’ve been way more prolific with this simple set up than when I had all the trappings of space/Mac/protools etc.

https://i.imgur.com/rVqwOY6.jpg
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 788
    dindude said:
    Who needs a desk! This is my entire amp/pedals/recording rig - will eventually settle into a space with a desk once we’ve done all the rooms, but the irony is that I’ve been way more prolific with this simple set up than when I had all the trappings of space/Mac/protools etc.

Looks great. What daw are you using on the ipad? GarageBand?
    Rich31k said:
    dindude said:

Looks great. What daw are you using on the ipad? GarageBand?
    Tend to do any drums and synth sequencing on Korg Gadget and then audio and mixing on Cubasis. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm in a similar boat. I want to be able to use my pc (mainly gaming) but also have my Helix floor either above or just below the keyboard. 
    I have a bad back so setting it up and tweaking while it's on the floor is a painful experience.
    ennspek said:
    I'm in a similar boat. I want to be able to use my pc (mainly gaming) but also have my Helix floor either above or just below the keyboard. 
    I have a bad back so setting it up and tweaking while it's on the floor is a painful experience.
    I found one in the end, see my thread here:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3587017

£140 on Amazon, plus the monitor arm of course but you might not need that depending on how big the Helix is on the desk.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    That looks spot on thank you.
    So I’ve managed to carve out a 2m x 1m space (sharing a playroom with my 4 and 7 year olds kids!). This has been a long time coming so has been carefully thought through even though there’s limited kit and limited space. 
    Based around the iPad as I’ve been a fully paid up member of iOS recording got a while.
    The Two Notes Captor, Motu M6, and Korg Synth are all powered from a Cioks power supply under the riser, pedalboard style. The Korg Monologue acts as the controller keyboard for soft synths etc, but adds anolog goodness when needed.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah wow that looks super sleek and very satisfying to look at. I wouldn't know how to use it but it looks so calming and cool