Creamery pickups?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I have strat shaped p90s from the Creamery in one of my builds and they are brilliant. Jaime was incredibly helpful throughout the process 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    I have some creamery mini humbuckers in my Firebird. The pickups sound great and they weren't too pricey compared to bare Knuckle etc. There were loads of options if different alnico magnets, wax potted or not. If you know what you want go for it. Jamie is a nice guy who really knows his stuff. He'll happily answer any questions you have.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I have a pair of his wide-range humbuckers and they're great. He rewound a dead humbucker coil for me with very good results too.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3999
    I've never actually ordered anything from him, but several years ago now I remember being advised by someone with a lot of experience dealing with 1970s Fenders, that Creamery wide range humbuckers were the ones to go for - though obviously this was back before Fender started building proper CuNiFe reissues.

For a variety of reasons I never got in a position to actually order anything from him, but I was very impressed by his website - especially all the details he included around the development of his wide range models. I really liked that he was able to build several variations, including models in regularly sized humbucker housing, accompanied by descriptions of how the tones varied.

Now that I'm fortunate enough to have a pair of the modern Fender reissues in my Thinline Telecaster, I'd be extremely interested to hear whether anyone has any experience of comparing Creamery wide range humbuckers with the CuNiFe Fender version? 

I'm particularly interested in the regular humbucker sized option, as I've got a cheap old twin humbucker tele that plays incredibly nicely and really captures the '70s Fender vibe, with a black guard on a black body. Unfortunately the pickups simply don't do it justice. If I got back into playing regularly enough that I'd want to keep a reliable backup instrument, I'd be tempted to save up and splash out on at least one really nice pickup for the neck...to start with.

Alternatively I recently had a chance to play a relatively modern Mexican Jaguar, which really impressed me. The stripped back design with a Gibson-style tune-o-matic bridge and hard tail seemed much more comfortable to play, compared with the more vintage correct Jaguars I've tried. What really attracted my attention was the simple design and a pair of humbuckers, which sounded fine though definitely left room for improvement. 

If I have both good reason and (more importantly) the means to buy another guitar at some point in the future, that Jaguar would be at the top of my shopping list. And as one of the least expensive guitars currently sold by Fender, it would be an ideal candidate to upgrade with the regular humbucker sized wide range pickups offered by the Creamery.
    That is a MONUMENTAL post which somehow contributes absolutely nothing to this. No offence…
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    The Creamery store is due to open on the 4th April, for anyone that wanted to order.
    Postponed until 11th  :s
    How very rock and roll
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8797
    +1 for Creamery: no experience of PAFs, but I've a Wide Range in my Jazzmaster and it's all kinds of awesome.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer