Most piano like midi keyboard

Which ones have the best feel like a real piano?

ideally I’m after a 61 or 73/76 board at a push but ideally looking for one that feels similar .   Don’t want an 88 keyboard.

I have an Maudio keystation mk3 61. which most definitely isn’t piano like
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    Most Piano like non 88 key? Most shorter boards seem to have synth action or Fatar keybeds at best. 88s are often the only ones in a manufacturer's line ups to have weighted or piano type keys.

Possibly a slab digital or stage piano with midi would be closest - eg: Yamaha do a p121 with 73 keys.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    GoFish said:
    Most Piano like non 88 key? Most shorter boards seem to have synth action or Fatar keybeds at best. 88s are often the only ones in a manufacturer's line ups to have weighted or piano type keys.

Possibly a slab digital or stage piano with midi would be closest - eg: Yamaha do a p121 with 73 keys.
    Yeah had thought about the p121 but ideally looking for something lighter/smaller.   I guess I’m really meaning 61 keys with the nicest feeling most user responsive keyboard.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    The Roland A-800 Pro is good. It's very 'responsive' to the touch. I also really liked the feel of the Alesis V61 when I tried one.
    My Nektar Panama is a great controller, but the keyboard is rather clunky.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    equalsql said:
    The Roland A-800 Pro is good. It's very 'responsive' to the touch. I also really liked the feel of the Alesis V61 when I tried one.
    My Nektar Panama is a great controller, but the keyboard is rather clunky.
    Does that not have smaller keys than normal? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    From this article it looks like there are a few - https://www.pianodreamers.com/best-digital-pianos-under-700/

I suspect it's not a big market sector as classically trained pianists want 88 keys and everyone else doesn't mind as much. I also wonder if a fully graded action might be problematic as a smaller keyboard means you shift up and down octaves in software, and then the feel at the top & bottom ends won't be quite right. But they do easit. 

Otherwise a good middle-ground is something with waterfall keys - a lot of 73/76 keybeds have those. I'm very happy with my Roland VR730 and my classically-trained keys player also likes the Juno DS-76 that she got after finding the 88-key version too big & heavy to cart about
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • My piano teacher uses a Studiologic SL71 and it is weighted keys, with after touch, and is so nice to play. It’s resulted in me buying the SL88 Grand for my home piano!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    I have a couple of full-size weighted keyboards: an Oberheim Viscount MC 2000 and a Roland A-80; they are bloody heavy!

• BodBod Frets: 1301
    My piano teacher uses a Studiologic SL71 and it is weighted keys, with after touch, and is so nice to play. It’s resulted in me buying the SL88 Grand for my home piano!
    I have the SL88, it's amazing
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I bought a Fatar about 30 years or so ago. Amazing at the time, 88 weighted keys. If Fatar are still going I'd imagine that they make good uns still.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Kawai VPC1 is worth checking out (although I have no idea where you check them out in person these days!)

https://www.musicradar.com/news/kawai-vpc-1-review

But 88-keys only, I think. So Studiologic.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 843
    edited July 2023
    The Studiologic Numa-X Piano GT is fantastic feeling, really well built.  Not just midi capable, plenty of quality on board sounds - but is also dead easy to use as a controller too, as long as you dont need too many physical knobs.