What songs are you learning?

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
There are a few fretboarders in covers bands, so, what are you currently learning?

I get a lot of requests (wedding band), plus I play in a couple of line-ups, and so usually have at least one ‘new’ song to learn - or one or two “played it once, five years ago” songs to re-learn.

This week:

New =
Riverboat Song - OCS
One Call Away - Charlie Puth

Revision =
Hooked On a Feeling - Blue Swede
Treasure - Bruno Mars
Freedom - Wham!
Gay Bar - ElectrIc Six

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    See my thread below about Bandokie, today among others I’ve been tackling:-
    thinking out loud - Sheeran
    Delila - Tom Jones
    Dont throw your love away - Searchers
    Dont go breaking my heart - Elton/ Kiki Dee
    Waterloo - Abba
    Material girl - Madge
    Mamma Mia - Abba
    Hallelujah - Cohen/Burke
    Dancing Queen -Abba
    Dont Stop Believing- Journey
    Sweet dreams are made of this - Eurythmics
    and a few easy peasy things I can recall from my past.
    All these are with guitar being the only melodic instrument, so fills lead and such are having to be covered.
    Tomorrow I will tackle:-
    Purple rain
    i wanna dance with somebody
    Love Shack
    I want it that way
    Crazy
    As it was
    Dont you want me baby
    Girls just wanna have fun
    plus lots more.
    My bass player gets about 4 hours in and his head shuts down, I don’t blame him for going home but this time next week we need a big set available to host singers live! We have another band session all day Monday.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    One band working on Ballroom Blitz - Sweet, another on Hourglass - Squeeze.

Two very different songs but both great in their own way!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Easy Lover - Phil Collins. I need to work out a second half to the solo which sounds interesting, rather than a pastiche of the record. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 2023
    Mainly, perfecting Steely Dan's 'Peg', especially the solo and 'Carry On Wayward Son' but I've also a bunch of classic rock stuff but most are revisits.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    Next up will most likely be

Enter Sandman - Metallica 
    Monkey  Business - Skid Row
    So What -  Pink
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    edited April 2023
    As it happens Neville the Happy Goth for a mates wedding ( same wedding I’ve learnt Hazy Shade of Winter for see https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/242480/note-for-note-or-not/p1 )
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    A 2-hour set for a tribute band I’m depping with, on both guitar and bass!
  • Keefy said:
    Tribute to who?

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Keefy said:
    Tribute to who?
    No, not the Who, Dire Straits.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    Got a new eighties project on the go now so learning a lot of songs for that. We are doing songs from Talk Talk, Japan, Furniture, XTC, The associates and that kinda stuff rather than the more mainstream eighties hits. 

I've also taken over guitar in a popular Portsmouth party band so learning their back catalog as well as new stuff from bands like Black Keys, Artic Monkeys, Blur

Also got sucked in to a Britpop tribute band so just learned a lot of songs from Oasis, Blur, Supergrass, Stereophonics, Shed 7, Bluetones etc

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Danny1969 said:
    Got a new eighties project on the go now so learning a lot of songs for that. We are doing songs from Talk Talk, Japan, Furniture, XTC, The associates and that kinda stuff rather than the more mainstream eighties hits. 

I've also taken over guitar in a popular Portsmouth party band so learning their back catalog as well as new stuff from bands like Black Keys, Artic Monkeys, Blur

Also got sucked in to a Britpop tribute band so just learned a lot of songs from Oasis, Blur, Supergrass, Stereophonics, Shed 7, Bluetones etc

That 80s project sounds interesting.

I'm between bands so not playing much. I'm trying to make myself learn a few acoustic covers so I can lead a singalong on a weekend away in September, but nothing much is happening at the moment.

Might try this next:

• Danny1969 said:

Played a birthday party earlier this year where the client had asked for Britpop stuff. Good fun to play and sing - mostly quite straightforward chords and big choruses, so fun to sing and no stress to play.

• midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    Mansun - wide open space ( I play 1 little known song per gig) then blue Monday which is more complicated than it looks trying to sing a couple of verses then rip i5 up on the micro korg xl
  • bobeffectbobeffect Frets: 57
    Mansun - wide open space ( I play 1 little known song per gig) then blue Monday which is more complicated than it looks trying to sing a couple of verses then rip i5 up on the micro korg xl
    Mansun~ Wide Open Space - What a great song - I miss doing this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 771
    Current set list -
    Jumpin Jack Flash 
    Born to be Wild
    All Right Now
    Valerie
    Hard to Handle
    Heroes
    Bohemian Like You
    American idiot
    Holiday

Learning -
    Bad Moon Rising
    Open Your Eyes 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Neilybob said:
    Current set list -
    Jumpin Jack Flash 
    Born to be Wild
    All Right Now
    Valerie
    Hard to Handle
    Heroes
    Bohemian Like You
    American idiot
    Holiday

Learning -
    Bad Moon Rising
    Open Your Eyes 

Out of curiosity @Neilybob which Holiday? I’m presuming Green Day but there are quite a lot of songs called Holiday! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    On the learning stack, ready for first run out tomorrow at rehearsal:

Babies - Pulp
    Golden Retriever - Super Furry Animals
    Will We Talk - Sam Fender
    Helicopter - Bloc Party
    Do I Wanna Know - Arctic Monkeys
    Mountains - Biffy Clyro
    Lights Out - Royal Blood
    Not Nineteen Forever - Courteeners 
    All These Things I've Done - Killers
    Ever Fallen In Love - Buzzcocks
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Danny1969 said:

Daughter recently played guitar and sang I Ran, Flock of Seagulls for her music GCSE performance. Her choice, helped learn it beforehand. Great 80s track that people know but don't commonly hear. Might be worth thinking about trying it out and adding it to the set.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    KDS said:
    Danny1969 said:

Daughter recently played guitar and sang I Ran, Flock of Seagulls for her music GCSE performance. Her choice, helped learn it beforehand. Great 80s track that people know but don't commonly hear. Might be worth thinking about trying it out and adding it to the set.
    I still rank Furniture as probably the worst live band I ever saw. 

For the sake of playing something when I get five minutes I’ve been learning Happy Birthday by Altered Images which has a humongous two chords but is a joyous bit of eighties jangle. Must be a bugger to sing though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.