Replicating my Helix > Laptop functionality with a valve amp setup?

Despite the fact I'm selling my Helix, tonight was a great example of the #1 thing I love about it. I connected it to my laptop via USB, streamed a guitar lesson from YouTube through my headphones as I played along through the Helix amps and pedals. Then, I decided to record an idea so opened up Garageband and quickly got it down. No need to mess around with additional cables or turning things on or off.

I'm back playing through valve amps now; but how do I replicate this type of action with a valve amp setup? What kit do I need? The amp has no line out so not sure how to "connect" it to the laptop, or how to run the amp audio and the laptop/YouTube audio through the same headphones etc.

I realise this is going to be bread and butter to so many people here but I've spent years away from recording so I'm not even sure what the words are to search on Google for!

Any help would be much appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 522
    If your valve amp doesn't have a line out then you either can mic it up with the mic going into an interface and into your computer, or you need a unit that is a load box that goes in place of the speaker and gives the interface a suitable signal. 
    There are loads of interface units on the market but the Focusrite Scarlet is well respected. 
    Computer music magazine recently did a round-up of audio interfaces it might be on the Music radar.com website but there will be reviews on there anyway.
    Of course you can use software amp emulation like Amplitube instead of a real amp.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    edited April 2023
    I use an Ox box for this, with the outputs fed into an audio interface. The Ox is not cheap, but gives excellent results.

Other options which are often recommended for this include the Boss TAE, or Two Notes Captor. Each solution has different pros and cons.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • willowillo Frets: 382
    Great, thanks both. So it looks like I need an interface at the computer side and then, unless the amp has a specific dedicated recording output, a loadbox at the amp side (or just record and play through virtual amps on the PC).
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    Yep, exactly. I can second the recommendation for the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    Interface + some sort of amp SIM on the PC.
    You'll probably find that most amp Sims are easier to record than a valve amp anyway + you can re-amp any time you want.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    if you're used to helix then look at the native plugin, then you'd just need a simple interface (focusrite has also done me goo d in the past)