Tele wiring - HB neck, SC bridge

What's Hot

Comments

• Ok cool. Got it. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And what about adding a treble bleed? I have treble bleed kit (0.001uf and 130k resistor)' worth adding this between the two volume pot lugs?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Treble pass ;).

Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If I understand a treble bleed correctly, it bleeds treble to the output to prevent things getting too wooly when the volume is rolled down.
  • frankyknuckles;368344" said:
    If I understand a treble bleed correctly, it bleeds treble to the output to prevent things getting too wooly when the volume is rolled down.
    You mean it let's treble pass to the output? ;)

Bleeding stuff removes it. I don't know why the mod is called a treble bleed, that's a more accurate description for a regular tone pot (which was my first thought when I heard it!).
    Yes, it is commonly called a "treble bleed", but as The PrettyDamned said that's really an incorrect description. A standard tone control is a treble bleed circuit, this is a treble pass circuit.

You might also want to use a smaller value of cap and a larger value of resistor, or put them in series rather than parallel - that arrangement with the .001uF cap and 130K resistor in parallel will give a pretty extreme effect and modify the taper of the volume control significantly. That kit is also about ten times overpriced...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748

This is the Tele. '52 CS Heavy Relic. Maple board, two piece Ash body. http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/927E8D08-36A3-410D-A1FD-D00DC3FAB526_zpspj6bimgs.jpg
    Cool!

Before you get too carried away, there's a limit to how much stuff will fit into a tele control cavity...

Think 500k is the traditionally the recommended accompaniment to a P90, but yet to try one myself! Still toying with the idea of one in my SG neck, but need to get rid of some of the generic pups I'm collecting.
  • so this is the recommendation from @ICBM ;

using 500K pots

neck sees 0.022uf and a 500K pot
    middle sees 0.022uf and a 250K pot

I'm still undecided on the treble pass
  • "I have a tele with a humbucker in the neck, it is dark. How would I make it brighter (as per my Les Paul neck HB)?"

Well I don't know how bright the Les Paul you mention is... but with something like a telecaster and others too, I would agree that a twin coil is likely to be a bit murky at the neck, and sometimes a single coil can be a bit thin at the bridge, though undoubtedly part of the classic tele tone?

On telecasters I usually fit a hotrail humbucker at the bridge to thicken up the tone there; with that the sharpest tone becomes the combined pickup mid selection... then if it will come off okay I take the chrome cover off the neck single coil to unscreen it which I find strengthens the signal and opens up the tonal clarity... and without the cover you can lift it closer to the strings too.
    Cheers,
    Mark D Phillips.......

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    so this is the recommendation from @ICBM ;

using 500K pots

neck sees 0.022uf and a 500K pot
    middle sees 0.022uf and a 250K pot

I'm still undecided on the treble pass
    Don't think that's quite right, @ICBM is referring to bits of both diagrams. The switch connections should look like my second one. The capacitor from the switch then goes to the same leg of the tone pot as the capacitor from the volume pot. The extra resistor then goes between the two terminals the bridge white wire connects onto and earth (so the leg that's connected to the white moves to the same place the white should go). You then end up with the switching options you describe. That's the 'ideal' values for a generic humbucker/P90 and single coil, but I'd just fit the 500k pots first and see whether I wanted to do the rest.
    If you wire it like scheme 2 without the extra resistors and capacitors, but put the tone capacitor between the volume pot and the tone pot like your diagram then you can add in all the extra stuff later if you think it needs it.
  • Ok. I can see that I have my diagram wrong, the second cap needs to go to the same lug as the cap from volume to tone. The rest, regarding the wiring on the switch, I though I had it right? ICBM said the resistor setup was as per your first diagram?
    edited October 2014
    (Edit)

Sorry - my mistake - you need the opposite version of the switch wiring where the two rotors are connected to the volume pot, not the pickups, as per imalone's second diagram.

You also have the second cap going to the wrong terminal on the tone pot, it needs to be the left terminal, same as the main cap.

• OK.

let me makes things easier for myself.

Tone cap, I get it. it's on the wrong lug.

Switch setup, which diagram do I use?

(the annoying thing is, I have already soldered the control plate as per my wrong diagram :( )
    imalone said:

This one, with R replaced by a cap that goes from the switch to the tone control left terminal, and the tone cap between the tone and volume as per your diagram.

• please don't read my last post as me having a go, i'm not, it's all good learning :)
  • OK, I will re-do the diagram.

Where does the 500K resistor go? does it still go from bridge hot at switch connection to Ground?
    Writing about circuits is like dancing about architecture!

ICBM said:
    (Edit)

the two rotors
    Ah, that's the word I was looking for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    OK, I will re-do the diagram.

Where does the 500K resistor go? does it still go from bridge hot at switch connection to Ground?
    Yes.